Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicatx

Has anyone with a kiln melted glass?

monicatx
19 years ago

Hi: The lady I get my greenware from has sold me a couple of forms for melting glass bottles and pieces of glass in. She is not a teacher and just told me to put the bottle in the form (with kiln wash on it) and use a decal cone. That is the extent of my knowledge.

What about the label? If the bottle is dirty will that show through? How do I make a bowl? Do I break pieces of glass and lay them on the outside of the bowl form?

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments (16)

• CandyWA
    19 years ago

I hope somebody knowledgeable responds... I need the same information.

I've seen wine bottles that have been fired till flat and then used as cheese trays... the neck of the bottle becomes the handle of the tray.

Dish TV has a jewelry making show. The guest made slump glass watch bands and all she did was balance the flat, rectangular pieces of glass on top of the kiln washed form (which was curved like a wrist) and when they were fired they slumped over the curve.

I've seen slump glass plates done as well... she cut the glass the size and shape she wanted... then used colored powdered glass to make the designs on the flat sheets of glass. Then slumped them in the kiln.

Another artist made masks the same way only he also used cut pieces of colored glass to make the facial features. Those pieces melted into the clear glass once fired.

Do you have a kiln?

• monicatx
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi, CandyWA: Yes, I have a little kiln that I purchased when I knew I would retire in a few years. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. It will only fire 11 x 10 inch pieces, but is a top of the line kiln.

As far as the glass goes, I purchased the form for the glass bottle melting. I have not put the kiln wash on it as yet. Hope to try it soon. Those forms must have holes in them so the glass will not blow up. I hope someone who reads this forum has done this project.

• CandyWA
    19 years ago

11 X 10 sounds good to me. Can you fire copper (for copper enameling) glass (for slumping) as well as ceramics and clay?

• monicatx
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My kiln uses "cones" so the kiln automatically shuts off when it reaches the temperature of that particular cone. (The cone bends and causes the kiln to shut off) I purchased cones for what I use - glaze, greenware, and the glass melting temperature which is the same as decals. There are many different temperatures available.

My kiln also has an extra safety feature where I can set a timer for the maximum hours I want the kiln to fire - when those hours are used up, it shuts off.

It is lots of fun. If your interested in a kiln, I suggest you start talking to shop owners that would use a kiln. I found mine after talking to a lady whose specialty was doll making. She gave me her discount from the factory. I don't even like doll making, but she sure helped me and I appreciate it. I would hesitate to buy an old kiln. They don't have the automatic shutoffs that modern people want for safety.

I keep mine on my back porch. It is covered and unplugged when I'm not using it. When you fire, gases are given off, so kilns must be ventilated.

• CandyWA
    19 years ago

Sooooo helpful.... thank you!

What brand and model is your kiln? I'm sick of trying to get information from kiln companies... they just confuse me with too much information that's useless to me... and too little information I actually need. If they had their way I'd be buying four kilns LOL.

I have a big Cress kiln but I've never used it. I bought it from a neighbor who was moving... it was only a year old at the time. Since it didn't come with an instruction book I have no idea how to operate it.

I should probably play with that one before I buy a new one :) I just really like the idea of having a table top model.

• monicatx
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi, Candy: My kiln is a Olympic and works on 110 electrical wiring. I love it. I did not want to hassle with 220 wiring like a clothes dryer has. Too much trouble. Good luck with your kiln. Monica

• CandyWA
    19 years ago

Oh thank you, Monica... I'll look that up on the internet. I've been watching the Vicki Payne show and am now all enthusiastic about glass slumping small pieces. I love the idea of the watch bands.

• DrynDusty
    19 years ago

I'm glad you mentioned the copper enamel process. My parents used to make copper enameled pieces when I was little and produced such lovely work.
    The other processes sound like fun, also. I've always wanted to as do pottery. I live about 80 miles from the Hopi Reservation in Arizona. They don't use kilns as such, firing instead with wood and sheep manure to get worldclass results. I think in Japanese it's called "Raku".
    Norm

• joyce58
    19 years ago

As a an art eacher (years ago) I had the kids do melted glass in the kiln...You can purchase molds ( from ceramic supply house) and just lay the bottles etc. on the molds. The labels will burn off.
    I think I first used a layer of kiln wash over the molds. Also, bits of colored broken glass or glass "threads" ( also from supply houses) can be placed on the pieces before melting.
    Sorry but I do not recall the temp where glass melts.

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Candy, you can find a Test Kiln, which I understand is what the smaller ones are called, at Bailey Pottery Equipment for $465.00. Go to the below site and click on Part# Search and put in C-230-1110. They have several different small kilns to look out and large ones. Hope this helps.

Sandra

• notmyemail_gmail_com
    17 years ago

I tried slumping a wine bottle last week as an experiment. I put it on a shelf (with kiln wash) and fired to 016 - I have a computerized skutt kiln, so I just used the preset program set and a medium speed and added a 20 minute hold time (just to make myself feel a little more secure. It worked. I had a couple of little bubbles remaining in the body of the bottle, but it flattened down as expected.

• monicatx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Months after my original posting, I purchased a bowl and a bottle slump form from a dealer. Apparently they need to have holes and kiln wash on them. They work great. I just used pretty bottles to fire, making sure they were dry inside - and it worked fine. I read someplace that people put those flat glass marbles inside the bottles before they fire them and that makes an interesting melt, but I haven't tried it.

I tried slumping a piece of picture frame glass in the bowl mold, but it emerged from the firing all cracked and crazed. I guess I would have to use special glass, but I really cannot afford it right now. Lots of fun tho.

• Lori Jacobus-Crawford
    17 years ago

This site has some great hints and tips http://www.delphiglass.com/. I make fused glass jewelry and other items. The bracelets and watch bands you'll need the bracelet form plus gaphite tongs to mold the glass around the form during the second firing.I don't use the kiln wash but use fiber paper. This is heated to approx. 1300F. You can make some beautiful pieces. Right now I'm looking to buy a larger kiln so that I can do pottery as well as warm glass. The best thing to do is read up on each so that you have a good understanding of what you'll need.

• marshasevek_earthlink_net
    17 years ago

I have fused glass in a cerqamic kiln with really good results. First, make sure your glass has the same
    coe -90, or bullseye. Fuse the pieces at cone 015 and slump at cone 019 - 021. You will have to do some experimenting. Make sure your shelf is 3/4 of the way up in your kiln. Your molds can be made from clay bisqueware, but make sure they have holes in it & have kilnwash on it. If you fuse glass together, use 2 pieces the same size together & add other pieces to decorate, otherwise the glass edges will be very sharp. Slump bottles at 019, although I have slumped them at 015, put rolled fiber paper under the neck for a handle. Fiber paper can be cut into designs and layed under the glass to create a 3D effect on the bottom of your glass.

• walkerxvii_aol_com
    12 years ago

yes i have! the glass melts and then it'll reharden at the bottom of your bowl. it looks great especially crunched glass, when you glaze so your glaze will run into the glass. I've never used the stuff your usuing thou. I actually just broke a few beer bottles. In class this week I'm actually melting gold into the bottom of my cup. its a beauty! i recommend putting anything in there, except diamonds because they wont melt! hope that helps ya!

• monicatx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Bennie

That sounds like a lot of fun. I am going to try that.

Thanks

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz