Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I fire polymer clay with metal?

Posted by askal (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 1:32

Hi guys,

I've never worked with earthenware outside of supervised high school art class so I'm really dumbfounded here and appreciate your expertise.

My cat passed recently and my family got her paw-print indented in polymer clay to serve as a memento. I was thinking of putting her metal nametag (steel, I believe) in the clay. I recall my teacher warned us against firing pottery with metal since it would shatter from the temperature difference but that was with really high temperatures in a big intimidating kiln; the instructions for the pawprint kit says we only need to fire it at 275 degrees fahrenheit. Is there a way I can safely inset the metal nametag?

Thanks for your time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I fire polymer clay with metal?

When you talk of firing are you talking about putting it in the oven? or a kiln? Polymer clay goes into your regular oven. The metal nametag, might not stick to well, but after you do the piece the way you want it, with the metal in it, you could always use E-6000 glue, that will hold it in place.

o
RE: Can I fire polymer clay with metal?

earthenware and polymer clay are completely different things. Polymer clay isn't fired, it's just baked at low temperature in a regular oven. It's not actually clay either, it's made of resins and plasticizers Polymer. clay will do fine with the metal. As ladonna stated it may not stick to the clay, but can easily be glued after baking. I think this sounds like a lovely way to commemorate your kitty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here