Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first PMC experience

Posted by ArtsyCraftsy (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 02 at 22:21

I took an 8 hr. class this weekend with Linda Kamholz where we learned to work with PMC+ clay, which kiln fires to pure silver. We also learned to construct a silver byzantine chain for the PMC charms to create a charm bracelet. The charms were stamped with rubber stamps, textured with tools & texture plates, and have appliques (stamped with punches) out of PMC paper. To get the antique look the charms were oxidized with liver of sulfur and then buffed with steel wool and a polishing cloth.
The class was so much fun that nobody wanted to stop working! The PMC is very easy to work with- much like ceramic clay. It dries out quickly so you must work fast, and it sticks to everything so you have to spritz all your tools and your hands with olive oil.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: my bracelet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first PMC experience

Wow......that is soooo good looking. You really did a professional job. I love the hands.

o

Karen, it's gorgeous! What is PMC paper?

o

Lia- PMC paper is da bomb, lol! It is like a thin rubbery sheet and it has a different binder so you can work with it in the open air without it drying out. I wish they would use the same binder in PMC clay- it would make it more like poly clay.
It is very easy to cut with a knife or scissors, it can be folded like origami and woven or wrapped around forms to create hollow beads. It adds a nice dimensional quality to the charms making it look like you cut and soldered another layer onto a cast piece. Really it just sticks fast with water. The star, heart & spiral shapes on the bracelet were done with tiny inexpensive craft punches.
I bought an extra ounce of clay and a sheet of paper to work with at home. We get free firing from our teacher for the next month so I plan on having much more fun!

Glad you guys like the bracelet! making the chain was the hardest part...now I know why another name for it is the "idiot chain"!

Here is a link that might be useful: PMC paper

o

Okay, now... what is an "idiot" chain??? LOL!

o

LOL- the real name for the chain pattern is "byzantine" but our teacher said it is sometimes called the idiot chain. Probably cause that's what you feel like for the first half hour, until you get the hang of making it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here