Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belle724

What can I use to paint glazed ceramic?

Belle724
18 years ago

I want to change the color or a glazed ceramic pot. What kind of paint can I use that will stick?

Comments (18)

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Here are two that I have used:
    'pebeo' Porcelaine, it is made for china, terra cotta etc and is baked in a regular oven and it adhears well. I have used it over glazes;
    The second one, Createx airbrush colors, if the surface has a light color and is not smooth. This ends up being transparent and only changes the color already there.
    I bought both at Michaels. I am guessing you can do a search and find out where else they are available.

I have never used them over a large area. I am a sculptor and have used them to add accents or change a small color area without re-firing the whole piece.

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

zenpotter, would these materials stand up to use in a wet environment, say in a bathroom as a tub and shower surround? Or should they be kept in dry environments? Thanks.

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

I've researched for myself, so don't worry--the pebeo looks like a good possibility, even though there don't seem to be as many colors as the Createx...but definitely something to experiment with!

• ramona
    18 years ago

I have done this on glazed ceramic pieces. I get some fine grit sandpaper and
    rough up the glazed surface. Then I paint over it with regular ceramic
    paint which needs to be fired in a kiln. I refire the piece and it has
    worked.

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

FlyLeft, sorry I hadn't looked at the forum for quite awhile. I have never used them in a wet place. I have only used them for a touch up on a sculptural piece that I didn't want to refire. The Porcelaine says it is dishwasher safe. I wouldn't start off with a big project like a tub surround.

Are you planning on buying already fired tiles and adding to them? Have you tried talking to someone at one of the paint it yourself ceramic places? They may be able to answer your question. Or experiment by painting some tiles and run them through the dishwasher several times.

• monicatx
    18 years ago

What I have done in the past is to spray the item with Krylon porcelain finish. Then you can paint it with regular Michaels paints. After the paints are really dry, spray again with the matte glaze mentioned above. If you want a high gloss, you can spray the matte glaze with high gloss.

• lhead
    17 years ago

Try Delta Glass Paint. My wife has used it with good results. No heating required. It's affordable, durable, available at Michael's. One thing - it's not food safe.

• glendavirgil_aol_com
    12 years ago

To paint ceramics do you use some kind of small spray gun ? please help

• Rhderamo_aol_com
    12 years ago

Go to this website for an easy method of painting over glazed pots.

http://www.ehow.com/print/how_6766941_paint-glazed-pots.html

• peppi reed
    8 years ago

i need to know what paint and how to do it. i am painting ceramic bowls for sinks to use in the bathroom and an off white bowl that sits above the table top. they are using a dresser for the bathroom.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

I hope I am answering the correct question. My friend and I buy ceramic glazed tile (usually just plain white) and then china paint (the same paint you use for porcelain dolls) on them and fire them in the kiln. These are used as hot plate trivets.

She would also buy plain white plates,cups, platters, vases [ceramic or china] and paint them also.

She also had ceramic molds and she would pour, clean and glaze vases and china paint them also. I could spend a lot of time listing the items she made from ceramic glazed items and then china painted. She painted anything that stood still for a brief moment!

And yes, we also china paint porcelain dolls. Glad to have found this thread! Rosie

• Pam Kulesa
    7 years ago

Thanks garbostyle1!! I tried the Krylon spray stone and I got the results I wanted and it was soooo easy!!

• Tanya De Los Reyes-Lloren
    6 years ago

Hi, Do you think that the china paint can withstand floor use?

• Krystal Meyer
    6 years ago
    Ok I'm asking it....What about paining a toilet ultramarine blue or hot pink ? Is there any way to do that without a kiln?
  • Rosie1949
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Tanya china paint is kiln fired into the porcelain.

Krystal no, a toilet is vitreous porcelain and has to be fired. Rosie

• Toni Floyd
    6 years ago

I have a huge beautiful glazed urn that I bought at an auction. I want to use it to make another water fountain feature in my garden. The only problem is it is a dark brown color that I don’t care for. Is there anything that I can use to paint it a different color? It is too huge and heavy to try to move out of my garden and there’s no way it can be fired. Any suggestions?

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Not that I know of. White or light glaze can be china painted but it has to be fired. And you need to use a paint that has to be fired in order to make it permanent. I don't know of any other way. If it can't be fired I am afraid you are out of luck. Sorry. Rosie

Sponsored