Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'faux origami' pins

Posted by ArtsyCraftsy (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 02 at 19:34

From I class I just took. Super easy technique using a skinner blend sheet which has been dusted with pearl-ex & over-stamped with Brilliance inks (dries on the raw clay), then cut into pieces and assembled on to a black base sheet. The base sheet is coated with some liquid sculpey to aid in the positioning of the pieces before baking. You can't see from the scan but there is interference gold pearl-ex all over the surface of both, which looks very cool in person.
So many possibilities for creating quilt-like patterns! This look reminds me of Gwen Gibson's silk-screened clay, only much easier! The little speckles on the fan-shaped pin look like inclusions added to the clay, but it is really just a speckle stamp! I will probably use the kimono as an element on a box instead of a pin.

Here is a link that might be useful: faux origami technique

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'faux origami' pins

I really like these....want to try them. good job

o

I worked on more yesterday- they are so much fun! The only change I made was to gently roll under wax paper after assembling the pieces in order to close up the seam gaps a bit more. Also, except for the edges, you cannot sand these after they are baked without sanding off the ink, so you have to make sure everything is as smooth & flat as possible before baking.
One more thing- certain strong colors like red can really "take over" your Skinner blend, so the triangle should be a little smaller. Also, If you want nice secondary colors to show up in the blend, use magenta & turquoise clays instead of "crayon" red & blue, like we were given to use.

o

Very pretty, Karen!
I'm going to have to devote a day to make lots of Skinner blends one of these days... When I'm in the mood to make something I don't want to spend all that prep time. It would be good to have some "on hand"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here