Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need a glaze?

Posted by Ruby_Red (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 02 at 14:35

Saw a cute project I thought I'd try. It's for making polymer clay pins. I plan on making some ornaments along the same line, just a bit larger in size. The instructions call for a polymer clay glaze as a final step for the pins. Do I need to glaze the ornaments as well? Or would a spray poly finish work as well. I have several that I use for my wood crafts, could I use any of these on clay? Thanks for your help.
By the way, the project was on the Michael's site, under projects - Americana Stars.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need a glaze?

Can use Future floor wax as a glaze. Makes item really shine and is quite durable.

o

I *think* you have to be careful about spray sealers. Something about the propellants breaking down the clay...

I haven't looked at the project; do they recommend a glaze to give the item a shine? I personally like a matte finish most of the time. But I finished a Sculpey project the other day and it chipped when I put a jump ring through... I was wondering if a sealer would help with that. I think Sculpey is just naturally brittle....

Sorry I'm not much help! Just be careful about the sprays; and show us your stars if you can!

o

I'd go with the Future to be safe and it is inexpensive, too, in comparison to tiny bottles of craft store glaze. It bonds well with the clay and adds a nice shine. If you work with wood you might have some Flecto Varathane Diamond Finish which is also good. Things like spray varnishes or clear nail polish get a reaction with the clay and become sticky over time.
Sealer does not really help with breakage. Sculpey is the weakest & most brittle of the clays. Try gluing the chipped piece back on with Sobo glue, then rebaking to fuse the glue to the clay.

o

Thanks for the tips. Good to know that my wood spray sealers wouldn't work before I tried using them. Hate to just about finish a project and ruin it with the last step. Though I've done that a few times already. :o( I'll try to post pics if I can figure out how to and how to use my new camera. Haven't tried it yet. So much to learn and so little time. LOL
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here