Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lead in clay

Posted by mvmary (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 05 at 14:10

Hi, I purchased some really beautiful rustic bowls at a local market in Cuzco, Peru. I asked and motioned to the seller if the bowls were OK to eat from. She nodded with an enthusiastic Si, Si!

I remember from a pottery class a million years ago that only certain types of clay could be used with food. How can I tell or is there any type of matte coating I could use to 'finish' the bowls to make them safe?

Thanks for any input. Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lead in clay

i dont think there is anything you can apply to them now, as they have already been fired. it seems to me that anything you put on them now would be even more likely to leech into food than the glaze.

there are tests available to check the existing glaze for food safeness, but i'm not sure where you get them. you could try doing a web search.

o

To be on the safe side you could always use them to serve things like potato chips, crackers, nuts etc. I wouldn't use them for a snack mix with fruit to be on the safe side. Anthing without moisture or liquid in it can't leach out the lead if there is any.

I lived in Venneauela and the clay I used came directly from the local river and I know that there had to be lots of unsafe chemicals in it.

o

Thanks for taking the time to post. I did have a lead test done and they are really full of it. So, sadly, I think they will have to be decorative only. But, thanks anyway. Mary

o

Mary-
You're doing the smart thing. I used to work for the Environmental Protection Agency in their Lead program. One couple I dealt with had brought back some beautiful dinnerware from Mexico, and started to get sick several months later. Their condition and symptoms got so bad they had to be hospitalized; the doctors finally figured out that they had lead poisoning, which came, of course, from the lead that had leached out into their food and drink. They had to undergo chelation therapy to try to reverse the effects.

o

We knew about this back in Tucson Az 50 years ago. Friends would bring back great pottery from Mexicao but we couldn't use it because of the lead. I think we put some glass plates over them so the designs would show thru.
I'm wondering if you couldn't put some of that saran type stuff on them and pull it around to the back so the surface is showing but of course the food or snacks would be on the plastic. Just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here