Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clay Doll Heads and hair

Posted by kaharitos (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 04 at 12:26

I was curious what kinds of hair everyone is using on thier clay dolls. I have seen the mohair suggestions. I have been using crafts etc. doll hair because it is all I can find in my area (have not tried the net yet). I make button dolls out of clay pots and make clay heads to give them some personality. However, I have been commissioned to make a bride and groom doll and all I know how to do are females. While everything else has come out great...I don't know how to get a male hairstyle out of the existing curly hair I have. And then how do I adhere it to the little guy's head? I have to have these done by Thursday so any quick help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clay Doll Heads and hair

Hi,

I hope you get a lot of responses. I worry a bit since this board doesn't tend to move much. Which is a huge disappointment to me because I love peoples ideas and pictures.

Have you considered human hair? Children's in particular. It's typically very fine.

My long haired cat just passed by... hmmmm.... his hair is perfect! :)

Be sure and let us know what you decide to use... and a picture would be awesome.

I'd love to see this board moving.

Good luck...

C

o

Hello, I use yarn -- you can use either the regular or the
'fluffy' kind, depending on what you want the groom's hair
to look like. (Too bad he's not bald, huh? :) ) If the
fella needs a pretty smooth look (as opposed to a rock star),
you might want to just paint on a suitable hairdo with
acrylic paint.
Good luck with your projects. P.S. If you use paint, you
should probably dip his head in Future floor polish to
help protect it or spray with acrylic finish (either matte
or glossy.

o

Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up using brown clay and one of my tools to "dab" hair on him. I put a flattened disk on his head and then made hair strands by repeatedly dabbing the clay with the tools straight edge. I think it came out ok. I like him. I will post the pictures tomorrow sometime. I have to wait for him to finish baing and then cool before I can add his head to his body. I ill take the pics later tonight after all his glue dries and I can move him! They are adorable!!!

Thanks again everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here