Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polymer Mosaics ?

Posted by Kathy_in_Delaware (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 04 at 12:12

Ok lets get this board alive again :)
Ive been thinking about doing a mosaic with polymer clay and I was wondering if anyone else has and if you have any ideas or tips to share.
Thanks in advance,
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polymer Mosaics ?

I did see a project done on Carol's show with clay......tiny pieces, scored and then baked. They just popped apart. Then individually glued on a pattern. Was pretty cool. Might do a search on HGTV's site for full instructions.

o

I taped that Carol show. If you want it, I can make a copy of it for you.

I'm fairly new to this site. I was so excited when I first found it that I actually stayed up until after 2:00 a.m. reading all the posts. But after that night, virtually nothing changed. I kept signing on hoping for new comments and ideas. I'm with you Kathy... let's get this board movin'!

o

I have a book on poly clay by Sue Heaser and she shows two ways to do mosaics. The first is like you saw on tv, the prebaked tiles. The other method she calls "soft-on-soft" and says she developed this because the other took so long for making micro tiles. (She shows jewelry made with these tiny tiles.)
With the soft-on-soft she says to roll clay to 1/16" thick, then cut off a 1/16" bar from that. Then cut, lift with your knife, and move the little tile to a base piece (your design). Let me know if you want more info on this, as she says the shape of the knife blade and the angle at which you place the bar of clay is important. If you're doing a bazillion tiles, I guess it is!
Comparing the pictures of the pre-baked vs. soft-on-soft, I'd have to say I like the SOS better!

Hope that helps, and I hope this board does get rolling again!

o

I was reading all the older posts and was happy to see this one. I saw an episode of "That's Clever" where a woman named Laurie Mika does just that- makes mosaics out of polymer clay. Here is her website: www.mikaarts.com

o

Wow. I'm going back to mikaarts site on my friend's high speed. A little slow on my dial-up. Thank you.

o

Do an internet search for clare dohna she does mosaics and makes her own tiles. The are pretty and sooo colorful. its dignursery.com or something like that.

o

I've used the chop and place method Lia_SC spoke of to cover a matchbox with slices from a cane. It was a heart cane and each heart was bout an 1/8" . . . took a while . . .and the "soft" makes it tricky to maintain the design without smooshin em.
The method works best when you're after something more "abstract" it it's not rocket science.

o

You know - this exact thought was floating around in my head a couple weeks ago. I wondered if it could be done. I don't see why not ! I even thought of making Sculpy rocks and stones to decorate a birdhouse with. ( so it wouldn't be so heavy ) Boy - all this thinking is starting to hurt ....... LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here