Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hinges on polymer clay?

Posted by akaLia (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 02 at 10:47

I'd like to make a hinged box from pc, and for that matter maybe even a book with hinges. Can this be done? How would you attach metal hinges to clay? Or would you make workable hinges from clay and be able to attach clay to clay???
Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hinges on polymer clay?

Whewwwwww.....got to surfing trying to find an answer on this and it's way later now. The only boxes I have seen were the faux ivory ones Kato made on CD. Those just butted up against and the top fit on without hinges. Will look more later.
FYI......ran across a Kato chat that had taken place in March of this year.....Her production guy was talking and saying his company was turning out 4000 lbs of KatoClay every day and still behind. He said they were planning on another big shipment to go out soon.

o

Bless you for that, Rosie! I should have searched myself. It was one of those times when my imagination was running away with me and quickly on to something else... you know? LOL! I'm not going to give up on the idea, although it may be *quite* some time before I act on it!

I keep wondering how long it will be before the Kato clay will be in stores....?

o

Her production manager made mention in the chat that people should call their local craft stores and ask when they were going to get the clay. Then if they didn't know about it, the caller would ask they stock it. That's the trouble I have here.....have several craft stores but no one carries anything new.

o

There is some great box & hinge construction info in Jacqueline Gikow's book, "Polymer Clay : Creating Functional and Decorative Objects". was running this weekend and not online. If I dig up any links I'll let you know.
Sure would be nice if the folks at Prairiecraft would email us customers with Kato clay updates. I have been waiting patiently for 2 months and have heard nothing, other than when I emailed them.

o

Thanks, Karen; I'll keep an eye out for that book!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here