Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guidelines On Hand Painted Tiles/mojalica

Posted by rebecca79 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 5:02

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I have to say that I fell in love with it the very first time I landed here :)

I am new in the Art world and my newly found love is tile painting/mojalica (popular art of Mexican/Spanish tile painting). But, I have no idea where to start. There is no school in Tucson (where I live :)which teaches this art.

Can anyone please tell me what should be my starting point. Is there any website which has step by step tile painting process? What kind of tile is good? What kind of paints do I need? What paints are good for kitchen backsplash and swimming pool? Any kind of help will be appreciated. I have full confidence that I have come to the right place.

Following is the link to website which has several examples of the kind of work I am interested in
http://www.arttile.com/

Thanks a lot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guidelines On Hand Painted Tiles/mojalica

Not paints but glazes. Glazes are fired in a kiln. Many places can teach you about glazing. A quick search of the internet brought me the name of Santa Theresa Tile Works which seems to offer a workshop in tile making they are located at Tucson, Arizona 439 N. 6th Ave. phone# to inquire about the workshop is 520-623-8640.

If you rather read a bit about tile making here is a few book titles 'Making & Installing Handmade Tiles' by Angelica Pozo, 'The Art of Handmade Tile: Complete Instructions for Carving, Casting & Glazing' by Kristin Peck, 'Handmade Tiles: Designing * Making * Decorating' by Frank Giorgini. I have the first book I listed it is good.

Here is a tutorial on painted glaze on already made tile, it is kind of brief but maybe it will tell you a hint or two.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Tutorial

o

Ladies, you have perked an interest in me for mojalica. I have spent the whole day learning about mojalica.

o

Darn! Now I had to add this table top to my wishlist.

It doesn't have a price tag. My guess is around $3,500.

Maybe I can just paint this on a wooden tabletop. LOL~

Here is a link that might be useful: $Mojalica$

o

We lived in Sicily and Spain for quite a while. I had sooo many opportunities to buy such a table, and didn't!!! Now, I kick myself in the rear.

I don't know that I'd have the patience to paint one myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here