Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering old CD's

Posted by Star58 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 02 at 1:59

I've seen some things about covering old CD's, but haven't
seen what anyone does about the middle part. I'd like to
get rid of the plastic, leaving only the CD itself. Has
anyone tried to take the middle out? How did you do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering old CD's

I'd like to help but I'm not following you...do you mean what is sandwiched between the front & the back of the CD, the hole in the middle, or the CD case insert?

thanks, Karen

o

Karen, Thanks for responding. I mean the plastic surrounding the hole in the middle of the cd itself.
It's slightly raised.

o

Hmmm...I guess if it were me I would try either my Dremel tool or my hand-held jeweler's saw. If you have some kind of power tool like a scroll saw or a jigsaw, that would probably work, too. I don't have either of those so I can't advise from experience.
Most of the CD art I have seen is from rubber stamping, where they break the CD into segments and just work with the center area as part of the design. I don't recall seeing any used with clay but now you have me curious!

Karen

o

I just bought a Dremel (impulsively!), but haven't tried it
out yet.
I've seen some polymer clay projects about using cd's
for things like coasters and covering w/clay, then painting.
I'd like to at least try the coasters (mine keep accompanying my glass when I lift it :) ),
but I think that middle piece would keep a glass from sitting flat.

o

maybe just an extra layer of "junk" clay from your thinnest setting on the pasta machine would raise the level to the same height as the center. Then cover it all with your good clay and roll over with a roller/brayer to get everything leveled out.
To me that would be easier than removing the center or sanding it down to level.

Karen

o

I may end up having to do that (cover the whole thing with
clay), but I had hoped to leave the plain, shiny surface
sans clay. Oh, well. Thank you for your help.

o

I've worked a little on the cds but I used a heating tool & got the cd real hot & cut it with regular sizzors. I didn't cut just the middle though. I guess you could use a dremel for that.

o

I looked at some of my CDs and they're almost perfectly flat, except for a tiny ridge. I would think even a thin sheet of clay would smooth that right over.

Are you using old CDs? Maybe they're different...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here