Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I know if PC has baked long enough?

Posted by Jajohnson2 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 03 at 15:51

I'm new to this forum and to polymer clay and I have a question that I couldn't find answered anywhere. I just made my first project - beads - and baked them last night. Is there any easy way to know for sure if the clay is done/cured when I take it out of the oven?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I know if PC has baked long enough?

I think if you bake it at the right temperature, you can't really bake it too long. You can bake the same piece multiple times. Say you want to add more clay to it, just rebake and you can't hurt it unless the temp is too high.
Seems to me the different clays require different times. I've heard you can underbake so the chemicals in the clay don't get a chance to fully bond, or whatever the technical term is... E.g. I think the Kato clay needs to cure longer.

So I guess the best thing is to use that oven thermometer and bake for at least the manufacturers recommended time.
I don't of any way to "test" and see if it's fully cured. Although I'll bet glassattic.com has something about that!!

o

I believe Lia is right.........it's not so much over cooked in time but in temp. There is some kind of guideline........like so many minutes for every 1/4 inch of thickness but I'm not sure. I always cook for at least 20 minutes and if thicker about double that. But the high temp will scorch it.

o

I have been monitoring the temperature closely, so I won't worry about cooking them a little longer. Thank you both!

o

Another thing to mention is that you shouldn't use the oven you use for food unless you cover the tray tightly so the vapors don't get out.

I bought a small convection oven on Ebay just for the clay.
I am just getting used to the temps... lolo... burnt the first 2 items, but the 3rd came out ok.

Paint Drop Hugs! <--- maybe should be Polymer Hugs! lol
MryRose

o

Good point MryRose - I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should pick up a used toaster oven....Meanwhile, I'll cover my clay pans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here