Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Some Help

Posted by jfoster (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 11:38

I work for a small school system in southeastern Michigan. We have just started a ceramics/pottery program in our Art department. A new kiln has been installed and we are almost ready to go... My question is, are there any web sites or forums we can visit to get a jump start on a program for our teachers that anyone can recommend? I've done several searches and haven't come up with many places that offer a detailed message board or forum just for ceramic/pottery/kiln use and school related programs. I know that may be asking a lot but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Some Help

Try here, there are some linked resources for teachers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiln Goddess' Clay Pit

o
RE: Need Some Help

Hi Jon, I have found that it is beneficial to integrate some history into clay lessons. Perhaps you could focus on different cultures and their clay use. You could start with Native American traditions and then begin to look at other countries and cultures. Use clay and art history books for inspiration. You may also want to focus on two distinctly different types of pottery: Utilitarian and sculptural. You may have the kids create likenesses of animals in clay, as a sculptural method, then possibly cups, plates or bowls..as utilitarian pieces, or even have them make tiles..to integrate the art with their every day lives. This will help them to make a connection between art class and the things that are around them all of the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here