Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pots cracking way after firing

Posted by Lorraine76 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 5:42

Hello everyone,
I have some cracking/breaking issues after glaze firing and i would like to discuss it with someone who had similar problem.
I slipcasted the pots (lots of them), than bisque fired them, after glazing, fired again. After the kiln cooled down loaded off the kiln than the pots began cracking, breaking one after another. Even a day after they're continuosly breaking. I've already made a 100 of them about a year ago did everything the same and i don't know what went wrong this time. Could somebody give me some advice in that concern?
Thanks & regards
Lorraine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pots cracking way after firing

Did you let the pots dry completely after applying the slip?
Did you raise the temp. very gradually for the bisque firing & leave the lid cracked for a while?
Same as above for the glaze firing?
Was the kiln cooled slowly after the firings and completely cool before opening?

o

It sounds like your glaze and clay are not compatible, they are shrinking at different rates so they literally don't fit. So if your glaze shrunk more than your clay, well it's sort of like The Hulk bursting out of his clothes...

o

based on what upstate said, maybe you used high fire clay and low fire glaze, or vice versa?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here