Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lightbulb Vessels

Posted by akaLia (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 02 at 23:15

OK, I know there are plenty of things to look at online and plenty of projects you wanna try... But I had to show you these lightbulb vessels made with polymer clay. I'm just in love with the leaves! I think that would be fun to try, although the total project intimidates me a little! But I have all those lightbulbs saved up... LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=martywil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lightbulb Vessels

Those are certainly different......I liked the baby on the rose and the last pine cone one. You can do it....just jump in and start making leaves.

o

Oh my goodness... These are gorgeous! I made PC Snowmen with lightbulbs for Christmas, and loved it. I had no idea that you could do something like this with them.. Uh oh.. I'm in trouble now! I found some of the smaller lightbulbs just today, that I bought before but never used... Oh dear..

o

Can you explain how you do these with light bulbs? Are there any directions or instructions any place.
I love the vessels.
Thanks for your help.

o

Show and tell on the gallery......for snowman lightbulb.

o

Those are so, so cool! I have always loved Majolica pottery and that's what they remind me of.

o

That's what they made me think of, too, Karen!

The artist emailed me about the leaves and said the technique is on Jody Bishel's video Exploring Liquid Sculpey.
About the lightbulb, this is how I understand it:
You bake the vessel and allow to cool. Then put all of it except the screw end of the lightbulb in a paper or plastic bag. Hit the glass near the screw end with a hammer(apparently you don't cover the entire bulb with clay --I didn't understand this at first) while it's inside the bag. Turn the vessel upside down to dump the glass fragments into it, wiping out any tiny slivers with a paper towel and safely dispose of the glass inside the bag.

And yes, lamb, please do show and tell!

o

Oh.. Okay, I would be glad to. I need practice writing up projects, anyways. I don't think I have any snowmen left from Christmas, but I do have one I started and never finished, so maybe I can do this step by step. LOL Wish me luck...

p.s. this is perfect, because I saw a post mentioning snowmen with a scenery painted on it's middle, and thought that would be fun. I love 'painting with clay'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here