Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cece_

Hello Clay Creators

cece_
22 years ago

Hi--

I just read all the posts, and looked through the Gallery of Greatness.

Feeling like I need to get up for a run around the house, cause that took a long time !!---too cold here to go outside!!

When I first saw the post go out for anyone interested in this type of forum, I chimed in. I stated that I had some clay, a blade and other goodies I had bought at Joann's and that they were still in the sack. It has been a year. True confessions are embarrassing and painful !!

Anyway--they are still there !!

I am glad you gave ideas to the newbies. I feel I will enjoy doing SOMETHING with the clay.

I will be lurking and complementing as time goes by. Maybe I will get DH to bring home some hex nuts and washers from work and make someting I can put on a string !!

Sculpey Smiles and Fimo Farewells,

Cece from GA

Comments (12)

• rosie_ga
    22 years ago

Hi.......cold in Georgia....huh?

• akaLia
    22 years ago

hi Cece, jump on in! Just whip up something and bake it! Depending on how big the project is or how much fun you're having ;--) you can have something finished in 30 minutes!
    I think one of the greatest things about PC is that it will patiently wait until you're ready for it!
    One day I'll get a pic of my very first Fimo creation. My mom, sister and I all sat around playing with this stuff (oh, about 10 or more years ago...) and all we had was translucent. I made a funny little swan (or duck or goose?) with an oversized head. Also a man-in-the-moon who can sit on his own. I have them in a big shadow box with other mini collectables. :--)
    Beads are always great.... Just play. And see what happens!

• ArtsyCraftsy
    22 years ago

CeCe- follow Rosie's link to Polyzine magazine and look through the letters to the editor- there is a good one in there that sounds like you. Everybody gets the case of "poly fear" where you have all the stuff but it seems that everyone else knows so much and you are in the dark. The great thing about poly is it is as easy as playing with play dough. Now if you could have fun like that when you were a wee one, you can do it now.
    I am an amateur myself and my mind boggles at what others can do. Just have fun like Lia said, play with it an get the feel of it. Save all your scraps and use that scrap clay as a base for beads & other things. I have learned a lot from every mistake I make and I don't care if I can't do it all- I just have fun with it.

Karen

• cece_
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Well---- I can't believe it has been almost a year and my post is still on here !!

AND

I can't believe my sack of clay supplies is STILL in the Jo Ann's sack.

I WILL do something with them during the month of January 2003.

I have been looking at all your posts, and have been VERY inspired to "play" !!

Happy New Year to one and all,

Cece in Georgia

• Lia_SC
    21 years ago

Yes, Cece, get that clay out and get busy! LOL! Tell us what kind of supplies you have... Do you have any books? I've been cruising the items on eBay that have to do with polymer clay. Just put those two words in the search bar and see what turns up. Very inspiring. I've been seeing jewelry made with miniature foods. :-D

• cece_
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Well, since I can be totally honest and not have to worry about you hitting me over the head with a wet string of fimo---- I have no idea what supplies I bought.

I am not even sure where my sack is !!

I know I bought several packs of clay, and some little molds.

Does a beginner really need a pasta machine, and if yes---where is the best and the least expensive?

I am not an artist, so I know that shaping things would try my patience.

Therefore, I think I could do stamping or embossing.

I took some expanded metal and some embossed metal (the kind that looks like diamond patterns you see on fancy pick up trucks)from my DH's work. I figured I could bake and design on them.

Do the majority of you use a small counter top oven for your baking?

Well, about PJ time.

Glad I dropped off to say Hi !!

Cece

• roanimare
    21 years ago

Hi Cece -- I teach online clay classes and most of my students are true beginners. We start our new classes on January 7th. Our projects are geared towards people who don't lots of accessories - and most are done without a pasta machine. You might look for a rolling pin or brayer (used in printing) if you don't want to invest in a pasta machine just yet.

Cece -- once you get started claying -- you won't stop -- so I don't know if you should open that bag of goodies or not!!! -- oh yes I do -- go open it and start playing and claying....

LIA -- I think many of us are bidding against each other on eBay - there's been a huge surge in looking for clay and accessories on eBay. I tried for weeks to get the Series 2 PearlEx powders, only to have to ask Santa for them :0) -- Michele

• cece_
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi Michele,

Thanks for your letter of encouragement.

I am anxious to give it a try, and will do so soon.

I think it all looks so much fun, and to know I have you and the others to come to for help, makes me feel a little more secure in investing time and money for supplies.

Happy Days,

Cece

• Lia_SC
    21 years ago

Michele, where are these online classes???
    I seldom use my pasta machine. I have a clay dedicated rolling pin and seldom use it either!

LOL about eBay. It isn't me bidding! Although I am looking for a book... It's funny, I always feel like I'm being rude if I bid against someone. But then I'm afraid I'll get really cut throat if I was there first and someone outbids me! LOL!
    I finally got the new PearlEx w/ a coupon even though I had to settle for a leaking jar of green. I'm not sure I'm happy with them though, are you?

• ArtsyCraftsy
    21 years ago

Hiya Cece!

Does a beginner really need a pasta machine, and if yes---where is the best and the least expensive?
    Personally I got one right away. It saves so much time for getting clay conditioned, doing blends, & making uniform sheets. I only wish mine had more settings.

I took some expanded metal and some embossed metal (the kind that looks like diamond patterns you see on fancy pick up trucks)from my DH's work. I figured I could bake and design on them. great idea!

Do the majority of you use a small counter top oven for your baking?
    I use a toaster oven for small things and my oven for larger & quantities of items.

Karen

• roanimare
    21 years ago

Hi Karen -- I bought my Pasta machine right away too, just couldn't wait for it. And I find many newbie go get one soon after getting the clay bug. :0) -- Michele

• rosie_ga
    21 years ago

I find the machine to be invaluable. It is clamped on to my work table in this room. Handle laying close by.....never know when you need to kneed some clay. Long time ago, I tried getting the clay warm and conditioning it by hand....whew!! Not for me. Have heard they are on eBay sometimes but have never seen one. My Mom got it for me for Christmas. Really a great device. Keep us posted on your endeavor. There is plenty of help on this forum so be sure and ask any questions.

Sponsored