Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carved Clay

Posted by Lia_SC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 03 at 20:13

I thought I'd show you my first try at carving clay with a rotary tool. I was inspired by some similar pieces by "Cat" Therien (The Bronze Tearoom) Plus, DH threatened to confiscate the rotary tool if I didn't use it, since it was a gift from him! LOL! Well, it was *great* fun! I thought at first I'd draw the design on so I'd have something to follow, but I threw caution to the wind and just went for it. So the swirls are not exactly a pattern. And it looks more like a Christmas ornament than a pendant. LOL!
Still, it was so much fun I can't wait to do more!

If you want to see...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clay/gal0220034132324.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carved Clay

That looks good........did you have to hold it in a vise or just handhold?
Pretty pendant or ornament.

o

Hi Lia - What a great pendant! My DH bought me a dremel for Christmas a couple years ago - and I'm just now using it. I never thought to carve on baked clay. You've sparked an idea for a clay class. I went to the home page you said you got your idea from -- but didn't see anything carved. What was it?? -- Michele

o

Thanks, ladies,
I just held the piece in my hand as I carved. Surprisingly easy except for the rounded areas.

No, the Bronze Tearoom doesn't have any of her scroll beads; I just wanted to give her credit for the inspiration. After posting that I did find a listing of her scroll beads that are up for auction. Try this with . (dot) instead of spaces:
www justbeads com/search/ql.cfm?s=catherien

o

Hi Lia - Yours looks just as nice!! Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I will definitely give it a try with my dremel tool. :0) -- Michele

o

Very pretty, Lia!!! I adore swirly patterns and that nice pearly finish!
True confeesion time...shhhh, don't tell, but I have not actually taken my Dremel out of the box yet and I've owned it for over a year. Now this will give me some inspiration!

o

Thanks, ladies, you are too kind!

Probably a year ago (or more!) I made a buffing wheel for my rotary tool according to Desiree McCrorey's how-to
http://www.pcpolyzine.com/september2001/dremel2.html
http://desiredcreations.com/howTo_ivoryPanel.htm
and just started using it again when DH ...ummm... motivated me the other day!

So don't feel bad. Just share a pic of your results when you get a Round Tuit!

o

Very nice! That carving sure could help with my problem of losing an impressed pattern in unbaked clay because I touch it too much. Are you going to try some with backfilling?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here