Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I gave up!

Posted by LibbyLiz (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 02 at 18:12

I have two pieces of (bisque?) white casted ornaments/decoration that I bought as greenware & did the 'shaving' of the seams & had them fired. I started painting them with acrylics, but now don't want to finish what I started & would rather sell them.

Is there any way to remove the paint bringing the item back as close as possible to white so someone would want to buy it to finish themselves?

I've never tried removing paint on anything other than wood or terra cotta planters, so I thought I'd ask the experts. :-)

TIA for any info provided!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I gave up!

I don't know about bisque....might call the people that fired the piece and ask if it's possible. Might be some chemical or mixture that would take it off.

o

I think the paint would soak down into the porous surface and have stained it permanently.

o

I received two private e-mails telling me to refire & that the paint would come right off. The people that wrote said this is what they've done before.

I tried soaking them in water to see if the paint would just bubble up & peel right off, like on terra cotta, but not so. But then again, the paint didn't soak in because I was able to scratch some off. It's just too much work to scrub for hours to remove the paint.

Yet, it's probably too expensive to refire the items just to resell them for pennies.

Sigh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here