Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new old kiln

Posted by chelleswt99 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 16:33

I'm excited to have just been given an old kiln, but I know nothing about how to work it, or if anything is missing. The label says Fire Brite Kiln with pyrometer and thermocouple 110 volts 12amps model-3908.

I see no thermometer and don't know what a thermocoupler is! It does have a couple of metal screen looking things and a 4 prong wire thing I think goes inside it.

It only has a ON or OFF switch. Inside dimensions are
8" X 9" X 4 1/2" I took a picture of it too.

Could someone give me some advice about how to use it and what type of projects a kiln of this size could be used for? Or maybe point me to a website that could. I'd be so appreciative.

I've always wanted one and watched them fuse glass on craft shows, but now that I look at it I'm a little intimidated! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new old kiln

I tried searching for that brand name - couldn't find a thing. If I'm correct - a thermocoupler is the wire thingee that is inside the kiln to tell the temp on the outside pyrometer. ( thermometer for us newbies) I bought a similar old kiln - only without the temperature stuff. Mine just has an on & off switch ,too. I did alot of playing and experimenting with mine -- I turned it on and just timed it & kept notes( by peeking ) till the glass was doing what I wanted it to. You can turn yours on and watch the temp rise without peeking ( lucky you !) WHen it gets to the temp you want and the glass is doing what you want - just open the door for a quick cool down ( about 15 seconds )shut it off and let it cool. Once you use it a few times - you 'll get the hang of it. I'm still playing with mine - I've had lots of successes and lots of failures. I'm still learning !!

o

Sorry my spam blocker blocked notice of a reply. So if I try glass for my 1st project, what do I place the glass project on so it doesn't stick in kiln? Do I need any special equipment to fire clay or I've heard of silver clay, which sounds interesting? I'm ready to experiment as long as I don't ruin the kiln or set anything on fire! As you can see I seriously don't know what I'm doing and wish I could find a website with the very basics.
Thanks for the time and help.

o

You should buy a kiln shelf to bake your glass on. It's just a bisque slab.You also have to use "kiln wash" to coat the shelf - it keeps the glass from sticking. The worst that I think can happen is that your glass will melt into a puddle. ( Been there - done that !) Just keep your eye on it ! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here