Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polymer Clay Magazine???

Posted by Rosie_GA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 02 at 15:32

Are there any magazines for clay? I know the free online Polyzine is a monthly deal but what about magazines?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polymer Clay Magazine???

Not that I know of as far as a national magazine. I get Jewelry Crafts and Bead & Button on subscription. They regularly have poly clay projects in them. Ornament also has some occasional poly clay articles.
There are lots of free poly clay projects on the web, what a blessing! There is also "The PolyinforMer"- a newsletter for the National Poly Clay Guild with lots of good info. It is free with a yearly Guild membership ($25).

Here is a link that might be useful: PolyinforMer

o

Isn't that strange? Wonder why some of the powerhouses.....Kato, Mcquire, Heaser, Carlson, Roche don't get together and publish a monthly? Maybe their plate is too full already. Maybe that would detract from their work or they would become toooo busy to be artists.

o
One more question.....

Just checked out NPCG site.....I'm a novice with a lot of interest. Do newbies join this organization?

o

Rosie-
in my opinion there is surely enough interest to sustain a publication on Polymer clay. You have to have a good printing house and it is pretty much a full time effort to publish anything of quality. Say, with the level of Expressions, or the Somerset publications. You just touch the cover and the feel of the paper lets you know this is a good magazine. There are publishers that deal with niche market hobbies & I wish one of them would get on board.
Anyway, the guild is for anybody regardless of skill level.
As long as you love PC you can join. Even my personal favorite, the incomparable Kathleen Dustin was a beginner at one time, lol!

Karen

o

Thanks for the info.....think I will.

o

Hi,
I really would like to get into the polymer clay beads, but am concerned about the safety issues, just as needing a seperate oven and the fumes. any suggestions? thanks, Linda

o

I make beads and little miniature sculptures. I do have a small countertop baking oven just for my clay. I've been baking it in the kitchen for about three years. I've never smelled fumes or had any trouble with it. I do dedicate the tools I use JUST to the clay. I don't use it for anything that would be eaten on or any drink containers. I've read you have to be careful about scorching it, but if you cover it with aluminum foil while it's baking, (just build a little tent over it, I've never had a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here