Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosie_ga

Polymer Clay Magazine???

rosie_ga
22 years ago

Are there any magazines for clay? I know the free online Polyzine is a monthly deal but what about magazines?

Comments (7)

• ArtsyCraftsy
    22 years ago

Not that I know of as far as a national magazine. I get Jewelry Crafts and Bead & Button on subscription. They regularly have poly clay projects in them. Ornament also has some occasional poly clay articles.
    There are lots of free poly clay projects on the web, what a blessing! There is also "The PolyinforMer"- a newsletter for the National Poly Clay Guild with lots of good info. It is free with a yearly Guild membership ($25).

Here is a link that might be useful: PolyinforMer

• rosie_ga
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Isn't that strange? Wonder why some of the powerhouses.....Kato, Mcquire, Heaser, Carlson, Roche don't get together and publish a monthly? Maybe their plate is too full already. Maybe that would detract from their work or they would become toooo busy to be artists.

• rosie_ga
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Just checked out NPCG site.....I'm a novice with a lot of interest. Do newbies join this organization?

• ArtsyCraftsy
    22 years ago

Rosie-
    in my opinion there is surely enough interest to sustain a publication on Polymer clay. You have to have a good printing house and it is pretty much a full time effort to publish anything of quality. Say, with the level of Expressions, or the Somerset publications. You just touch the cover and the feel of the paper lets you know this is a good magazine. There are publishers that deal with niche market hobbies & I wish one of them would get on board.
    Anyway, the guild is for anybody regardless of skill level.
    As long as you love PC you can join. Even my personal favorite, the incomparable Kathleen Dustin was a beginner at one time, lol!

Karen

• rosie_ga
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thanks for the info.....think I will.

• never2late2learn_aol_com
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I really would like to get into the polymer clay beads, but am concerned about the safety issues, just as needing a seperate oven and the fumes. any suggestions? thanks, Linda

• clayandartscraps
    12 years ago

I make beads and little miniature sculptures. I do have a small countertop baking oven just for my clay. I've been baking it in the kitchen for about three years. I've never smelled fumes or had any trouble with it. I do dedicate the tools I use JUST to the clay. I don't use it for anything that would be eaten on or any drink containers. I've read you have to be careful about scorching it, but if you cover it with aluminum foil while it's baking, (just build a little tent over it, I've never had a problem.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County