Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_in_nj

Your opinion on Fimo.....

Elaine_in_NJ
22 years ago

I bought Fimo PC and I am not happy with it. When I try to condition it, it crumbles. I have added the diluent and have been able to get it to the point where it is usable. I think I will just stick to buying Sculpey and Premo.

~~Elaine~~

Comments (18)

• akaLia
    22 years ago

Hi Elaine,
    Any idea how old it was? I have some VERY old Fimo that's become that way. Also bought it on clearance because it's old and dry.
    I've used the extender stuff... looks like translucent clay... and brought it back to life. Also, by chopping it up with a blade (I don't have a food processor) and then running it through a pasta machine, you can get it workable pretty quick (half an hour?) I just went through this with some flesh colored that I thought was worth saving. I've never had any problems with it after curing when it's been in this condition (or should I say non-condition?) ;--)

By the way, I've never seen the diluent in a store; where do you buy it?

OH! And there is a new clay coming out soon by Donna Kato that is not supposed to have any of the problems Fimo had (too hard) nor Sculpey (too soft). I've heard about great results with it by some lucky artists who got to test it.

• Elaine_in_NJ
    Original Author
    22 years ago

I don't know how old it was but it is as old as the Sculpey and Premo that I have and have had no problem with them. I believe that I got the diluent in A.C. Moore.

~~Elaine~~

• Elaine_in_NJ
    Original Author
    22 years ago

I don't know how old it was but it is as old as the Sculpey and Premo that I have and have had no problem with them. I believe that I got the diluent in A.C. Moore.

~~Elaine~~

• Elaine_in_NJ
    Original Author
    22 years ago

How the heck did that happen?

~~Elaine~~

• rosie_ga
    22 years ago

Elaine..your comments beared repeating twice......I too have had much trouble with Fimo....but its definitely a persistence thing. I have cut it in slivers and just KEEP putting through pasta. At that point it got to be ME or the CLAY and I was going to condition it. Finally did but can't tell any difference after baking. Thought it was supposed to be stronger. Can't wait to hear and see more about Kato's new clay.

• ArtsyCraftsy
    22 years ago

I personally find Fimo very tough to work with. So crumbly & hard. I have to carry it around in my bra for a couple hours to soften it up! When I was teaching, the kids just could not handle it, so I ended up with a ton of Sculpey III. I do like Premo but our craft store don't carry any kind of selection.
    I am not happy with how weak the Sculpey is when baked.
    If this new clay works like Premo & holds it's true color when baked, it will be a real winner!

Karen

• lamb43
    22 years ago

I, too, have the same complaints concerning FIMO. I tried putting it in a ziplock bag, and putting it in a bowl of real warm water. That brought it into a conditionable stage a hair faster, but not enough to make me like it! I'll stick with Sculpey3 and Premo... At least until I can get my clay stained fingers on Kato's new clay! LOL

I've found the dilutant on top of the Sculpey/Premo display in some craft stores (JoAnn's and Michaels) along with the glaze. Seems the display case is built that way to display them. Who would have thunk it?? (Quite embarressing to ask for help, and then to have it shown RIGHT THERE! LOL)

Don't know if this will help or not, but if I'm working with Sculpey3 on a piece I need to be strong (usually because of color choice) I mix translucent clay with it, then plunge directly from oven into cold water. Seems to do the trick for me.

Lamb

• ChristyNAlaZ7
    22 years ago

It sounds like the super sculpey I just threw away. It was crumbly and I just made do with it because I am a newbie and didn't realize it was more than just old. I really believe it had been too hot somewhere along the distribution route. Anyway, the pieces I sculpted with it are very weak, but the piece I did with sculpey III, which wasn't old, is just fine. I didn't like the softness of the s. III, so went for the super s. Now I am trying fimo and premo. So far premo is as gooey as s. III. No experience with fimo yet.

• lamb43
    22 years ago

Ah Ha! It's happened to someone else! I sure would like to know what causes that, I know it's got to be something in the manufacturing process. Anyway, when I get gooey, or super sticky Premo or S3, I 'leach' it, I think that's what it's called. I smooth or stretch it into a flat pancake like, and then place it on just regular paper overnight (or at least 4-5 hours). When I check on it, I look for the 'stain' on the paper (looks like an oil stain on the paper) I then check the clay's consistancy. If it's still too gooey or sticky, I repeat the pancake and paper thing with fresh paper. That 'oil-stain' (I know it's not an oil stain, but that's what it looks like to me) is the excess platicizers (I think)that make it gooey.

Anybody else find this problem? If so, what do you do?

• rosie_ga
    22 years ago

Funny you mentioned the "oily stain." I color copied on my printer one of the tiles that was mentioned on another posting. Didn't think it would work and I was right. Guess I'll be going to a copy shop and getting the right toner....but anyway the translucent clay that I left the tile copy on....left a oily looking stain on the tablet it was setting on. So you think this leeching removes excess that is not needed? Hmmm..may try this on all my clay.

• ChristyNAlaZ7
    22 years ago

Very interesting stuff. Does "draining" the grease off make it better to work with?

• lamb43
    22 years ago

Yes! Leaching it makes it much easier to work with. The gooey clay drives me crazy! I don't run into it too often, but I'm almost guaranteed to get it when I buy a quantity of the same color Sculpey3/Premo. LOL It's frustrating especially because I'm not known to have a great deal of patience when working on a project!

• rosie_ga
    22 years ago

So true......and when it's like that, it even sticks to the roller on the pasta machine. At that point, I just quit and walk away.......then come back after it's cooled off a bit.

• akaLia
    22 years ago

I just remembered a use for Fimo where it's a plus for it to be rather dry...
    You know how it looks when you layer gold (or whatever color) leafing onto clay and run it through the pasta maker? You can get the same look with two colors of clay and it helps if one is kind of crumbly. I played around with this and still have some of the sheets.
    I saw it in a book that I can't remember the name of...
    Also, you can use chunks that are dry-ish as "inclusions" in a softer clay to make faux turquoise or other stones.
    So, I guess I'm saying don't give up on that Fimo! LOL! I threw some like that in the trash once and ended up digging it out! I have heard of it being partly cured if it's been stored in a warm place, sat in front of a window, or traveled in a hot delivery truck... but I knew mine hadn't.
    And Karen, I had to LOL about your bra! :--D I agree, Fimo is not good for kids, but with my kids the Sculpey III has been too soft in their hot little hands (except for quick projects). Premo, we've done okay with...

• ArtsyCraftsy
    22 years ago

Hey it's pretty warm in there & it beats sitting on it! I can even take the clay with me if I have errands to run ;-)!

Karen

• rosie_ga
    22 years ago

HAHA I guess we have to decide......Is it warmer when its in the bra or when a person sits on it.......LOL
    Guess that would depend on many variables......

• lamb43
    22 years ago

Yeah, well if you do decide to sit on it, make sure it's 'contained well', and you don't forget it's there.One time I walked around for lord knows how long with the kids snickering, whispering, and pointing at me when they thought I couldn't see. It drove me nuts! Finally youngest DD broke down and told me I had clay stuck to my butt! For crying out loud, I thought they were all grown up!! (Youngest is 21) I guess they never do when it comes to Mom.
    We can laugh about it now..

• rosie_ga
    22 years ago

LOL....enjoyed that one.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm