Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there such a thing as an air-dray clay that holds water?

Posted by alexis_s (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 13:04

Hi, this is my first time posting here...

I'm not a clay person (though I wish I was!!) but I am an orchid person. I'm interested in making clay containers for orchids, but the container has to hold water without dripping. If there are any orchid people out there, you're probably wondering if I'm nuts right now, but there is a method to my madness. So far my online searches (and searches of past topics on this forum) indicate that an air dry won't hold water.

So in summary, I want to make a reservoir of clay that does not drip water, but DOES become saturated with moisture. And it needs to be as durable and inexpensive as possible, because I want to make quite a few. Does anyone have an idea for me??

Thank you very much in advance!

Alexis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there such a thing as an air-dray clay that holds water?

No one ever answered this question. But, the answer is NO.

However, you could sculpt around a glass vessel of some sort. For that matter, you could use plastic.

o
RE: Is there such a thing as an air-dray clay that holds water?

Hi Alexis: I understand what you mean by the orchid pot needs to keep saturated with water. I need to make something similar and found this information on making hypertufa. It might be what you could use. Just make sure to cure it so that it doesn't "burn" your orchids.

This website has good info.

Good luck with your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: The-Artistic-Garden.com -- Hypertufa Pages

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here