Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosie_ga

Clay faces

rosie_ga
22 years ago

What is everyone doing in polymer clay? I have posted pic in gallery of faces that I have been doing. These are great for cards, collages and framed. Great fun........

Comments (7)

• Elaine_in_NJ
    22 years ago

Rosie, they looked nice. Did you do them with a mold or did you sculpt them?

~~Elaine~~

• lamb43
    22 years ago

I'll have to check out your faces, Rosie. I pretty much still need to use molds if I'm doing realistic sculptures. My cartoon figurines are easier! I am getting better though.

Lately I've been making clock and mirror wall sculptures. I make them bas relief, and so far they all are outdoor based. I'll post a photo of the clock I made for a charity art auction, and my current Marjan mirror that I'm doing.

Also, we are getting ready to move later this month (the date has been moved from Valentine's day to Feb. 26, thank goodness) so I'm trying to use up as many of my canes as I can. I'm covering a small coffee can with many different leaf canes, pansy canes, and a dog cane. This will go to a fellow animal lover to store the puppy treats in, or whatever else she'd like to use it for.

And then there's the Faux Fur pins that I'm making for that same charity. Those are much easier, as I finally made a finished mold for the lettering. All I need do is shape the clay, stamp the lettering with my mold, and add decoration. I've been using flowers for the most part, miniature roses, miniature pansy's, and tiny forget-me-nots.

Sounds like a lot, I know, but the less clay I have to have shipped, along with my pasta machine, the cheaper it will be for me.

• akaLia
    22 years ago

Wow!!! There's a gallery here, too! Woo hooo!!

Rosie, DS7 wants to know that, too; he says, did she do that by hand, or with a mold? :--)

I'd love to see some of your antiqued ones...

Oh, I'm into faux scrimshaw right now.

• Diane_from_VA
    22 years ago

rosie, can you tell me how you'd use them on cards?

• rosie_ga
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Wow..this forum is going to be such fun..... I made a mold for the little face from an outdoor sculpture piece. The stone had a big sun with rays and I made a mold just from the tiny face in the middle. Once the clay comes out of the mold, it can be sculpted anyway you like. For instance, face longer, eyes bigger, more wrinkles, etc.
    Use on cards......I don't fill the mold completly so I have the same facial features but much thinner. Have attached them to handmade papers with bits of gold wire or charms and then attached to cards. They don't weigh much for sending in the mail but they do have to be "hand-stamped."
    By the way....this mold works great with the water putty stuff and it can be poured super thin.

• ArtsyCraftsy
    22 years ago

Those are perfectly wonderful! What is water putty?

projects: I am still trying to perfect the image transfers on poly clay. I am also having fun with a poly clay & rubber stamp kit called stamplets (classic kit). You get 4 packs of Premo, 4 nice rubber stamps & four templates in the kit. It was $20, but I had a 40% off coupon so it was an awesome deal.

Next I would like to work on projects from my "Tantalizing Translucents" video, and try my hand at mica shift.

Here is a link that might be useful: stamplets

• rosie_ga
    Original Author
    22 years ago

I had seen the stamplets in magazines but haven't seen them locally. 40% off was at Michaels? I thought they were a grand idea. I have used the same principal only with layering of just square or fan shaped pieces of clay. But the individual shapes of stamplets is what make them so neat.

Water putty is a powder that is mixed with water and becomes "rock hard" after it is poured in a mold and dries.

I have done the image transfers from copy of fabric. Works out great. I used oriental fabric, made a copy and then transferred the geisha girl to clay. Have not tried photographs but I understand they transfer too.