Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Valuable tip worth repeating...

Posted by taunia1 (taunia1@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Feb 13, 02 at 10:39

I thought this was something I'd pass along. About 5 years ago, I sculpted some figures & when finished, I sprayed them with a clear coat of matte varnish on some, gloss coat on others & left still more just painted without any finish. I had forgotten about them until a couple of years later. I had put some of them in a shoebox, wrapped in tissure, & others on a shelf UNWRAPPED. They were all very sticky to touch! Needless to say my heart was broken; with all the work I'd put into them. I heard somewhere that using Future floorwax as a finish coat works well. I just hope no one has to go through this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Valuable tip worth repeating...

I've heard that it's something to do with the propellants... But then I read about an artist who *sprays* some of her tiles with Kilz, so I'm wondering why that wouldn't affect it the same way. I'm assuming it's something in the spray sealers.
I've also heard Flecto Varathane is the best, but Home Depot said they don't carry it and I think the guy I spoke with was a little irritated when I wouldn't take their substitute.

o

I figured Home Depot would carry that....haven't checked though. Maybe a Sherwin Williams or an Ace Hardware. Just checked their website and they have an 800 # to find their retail locations. Will call tomorrow and post it here.

o

our LOWE'S carries flecto varathane...in the ONE GALLON size, if you don't mind spending $35 on it! ROFL! the customer service people for varathane are really nice, though, and if you call them, I'm sure they can give you your local retailer.

di

o

I got a gallon of Flecto Varathane at Hechingers when they went out of business- for $5!
Some people use Mop 'n Glo, too.

o

Just called Flecto company tech supt and he said the product SHOULD be found at:
Home Depot
Lowe's
Ace Hardware
True Value
Or it could be ordered at doitbest.com
He said the distribution centers for Home Depot have this product but sometimes the individual stores don't stock it. It somes in a half pint size. Figure that's the size we need. I'm going to tell the local places to stock it. That's the size I want and there should be no reason they don't carry it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here