Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamb43

Answer to 'Can You Guess What...'

lamb43
22 years ago

If you didn't look at the post in the gallery yet, please do so now, and try to guess what they were originally.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• lamb43
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Originally, they were tiny, little glass ball Christmas ornaments. I made them into bottles, and called them 'WishPots'. A lot of fun to make, and my friends went crazy over them!

p.s. Oh yeah, they were the 1 inch size ornaments.

• ArtsyCraftsy
    22 years ago

Those are very cool! they would make great pendants, too. I guess that unlike the larger lightbulb vessels, you leave the ornament inside? I remember reading an article at Polyclay Central on "Wish bottles" that remind me of these. I think they were formed over little glass medicine bottles that are normally disposed of in hospitals.
    Thanks for sharing, Lamb!

Karen

• akaLia
    22 years ago

I thought they were lightbulbs. I didn't realize how small they are. Reminds me of perfume bottles. Very pretty!

Some of the clayers on the PCP list donate bottles like these to hospitalized children who are victims of cancer. I think they're called Bottles of Hope. I remember them searching for large (free to inexpensive) quantities of bottles to cover.

Do you make these flat on the bottom so they'll stand up? I have some glass "bottles" shaped something like a bud vase and frosted inside, but they're not flat on the bottom. I was thinking of covering one with clay, maybe add handles... what do you think? Does it need to be flat? Or what about some kind of support --like a tripod stand? Would love to hear ideas!

• ArtsyCraftsy
    22 years ago

yes, you are right- they were "bottles of hope", not wish bottles. I have fancied some wire & bead stands for eggs- basically a ring with 3 beaded wire feet. A smaller version would look cool with little bottles or test tubes.

• lamb43
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Yes, I left the ornament inside of these, though with some, you wouldn't need to if you didn't want to. As a matter of fact,I designed one that could be used as a pendant by attaching a shell bead to each side. And yes, they are VERY similar to the Bottles of Hope. (I plan to check with local cancer center when we get home next week to see if they have a program like that.) The wish pots were are donated to my favorite charity (The Foundation for Interdisciplinary Research & Education Promoting Animal Welfare [FIREPAW] http://www.firepaw.org ) for the art auction that will be held this spring, so my wish pots will benefit the voiceless. I could almost have a one woman show with all the work I've donated for the auction LOL They are the ones that my clock and Marjan wall sculpture/mirror went to. I've found much more enjoyment in designing and working with my clay when I've been working for the benefit of someone/something else. Does that make sense?
    I made them all with flat bottoms, to stand on their own. With the exception of my fish bottle, whose bottom is really it's side?? Something like that.
    Alisa- all your ideas sound good! I like the handle idea, but what about making it like a hanging vase? One that you could (possiably) hang in a window, or on the wall, or even in an open doorway or arch? If you want it to stand, then you do need either a flat edge (doesn't have to be on the bottom - what about making it stand like on an angle?) I like the tripod idea, too! You won't mind if I try it when we get home, will you? I have a image in my mind of combining clay and wire, sort of like vines and leaves to make a stand for a bottle or vase.
    I've another photo to post to show a couple of the pots open. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get online next, but hopefully it will be before we leave Monday. We should be home by the 28th, but may be another day or two before I can get back online (cleaning and unpacking) I will be back!!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• akaLia
    22 years ago

Lamb, I love the fish! As usual, your colors are brilliant!
    You charity sounds wonderful. Makes perfect sense!

I'd love for you to use the tripod idea (and show it, of course) --you know it's not original! LOL! And I love your idea for making hanging vessels. Keep us posted on the vine idea. BTW, www.sciplus.com has lots of bottles and vessels in lots of sizes.

Wishing you Godspeed & bon voyage, too; maybe you'll bump into our Taunia in TX? We'll be looking for you here!

• rosie_ga
    22 years ago

Sure do enjoy seeing your work......have a safe trip.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner