Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sara Jane Helm polyclay site update

Posted by akaLia (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 02 at 8:42

I went to Sara Jane Helm's site y'day and it's been updated since I was last there
http://www.polyclay.com/
She has info there about the Flecto Varathane --exactly which one to look/ask for. Also some great projects, cane-building help, and just plain inspiration. Be sure to look at her hands. Any idea how to make a "Mendhi" cane??? I can understand some of the designs, but most look so complex!!!
I also love her elegant filigree eggs...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sara Jane Helm polyclay site update

It's funny you bring up the eggs......Last night, I was reading from her book on this process. Planning on trying it. Not sure what a Mendhi cane is but will try to find out. My DH is off to Lowe's this morning with the exact name of the varathane and the size.
I think I'm going to do my switch plates today. I have the living room/den torn apart painting.....BUT I want to make kokopelli switch plates today. The painting will be there tomorrow...

o
Mendhi canes

Not sure how to make a Mendhi cane....but it does represent a temporary tattoo technique using henna. Found all kinds of patterns when I did a search in WebFerrett. I bet one could carve the designs into baked clay, antique with a raw sienna color and get the same effect. I do love the hands.

o
RE: Sara Jane Helm polyclay site update

you can get lots of mendhi or mehandi stamps at Sunday International. The clay could be stamped & backfilled maybe?

Here is a link that might be useful: mehandi designs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here