Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceramic question.....

Posted by Deb_from_Pa (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 02 at 6:06

I saw the cutest thing in a shop this year, and wanted to share with you all. It was a snowman, made from resin I think, cuz it was much lighter than ceramic, and was about 12" or taller. The snowman was all bundled up in hat and scarf and had a beautiful scenery on its belly. Does anyone know if you can buy them in ceramic too?! i just fell in love witht hem, they were so cute!
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceramic question.....

I wish I knew more about ceramics...
Is this something you could maybe make yourself? (You know how crafters always consider that possibility! LOL!)

o

Probably not the exact same thing. The figurines are licensed designs and if they are being manufactured in resin it is really unlikely that they are being produced un a ceramic mold.
Most ceramic molds are non-licensed designs because you can buy them, glaze them and then sell your final piece. That would put you in competition of the holder of the license.
I would look in a ceramic shop for a similar snowman figure that you could paint in your own style with the other design as inspiration. Or buy that little guy, lol!
The thing with resin is how light it is and how detailed you can get with the molds. Far more so than ceramic. The final product is pretty resistant to breaking, too. I think they are now selling plain resin figures in the craft stores for people to paint as they wish.

Karen

o

Hi Deb! Your post here inspired me for the snowman lightbulb tutorial that I'm working on. (ok ok, it's done, just needs some editing..) Anyway, I thought you might be interested in my version of a 'snowman' with scenery. You can see the result here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Recycled Art: (Snow) Lady In Waiting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here