Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Terra cotta planters/pots.

Posted by LibbyLiz (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 02 at 0:19

It's been almost 20 years since I've done ceramics from start to finish, with raw materials... then glazing & all that.

But what I want to work with now is terra cotta planters/pots, which is basically, what, once fired?

I'm guessing I still need to use ceramic glazes, etc. Right?

After I get done painting the pots with such, what's the "rules" for getting them fired so the end result looks like the expensive ceramic planters & cache pots?

Thanks for any/all help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Terra cotta planters/pots.

Me too! Where did all the creamic shops go? I loved doing meticulous work on greenware, to have everything just as I wanted, to paint crisp and clean, especially eyes.... oh I miss doing all the steps! Do you miss it too?

o
RE: Terra cotta planters/pots.

I did a few pieces of ceramics in Jr. or Sr. High School & I watched my Mom do ceramics about that time.

So, after all these years I've forgotten (all?) the steps, & I don't recall if I've ever done eyes.

There are few ceramic shops any more! The nearest two shut down years ago. Actually, one burnt down! It was suspected arson because the shop was going/went under due to lack of business.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here