Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with firing please

Posted by shryocdj (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 21:43

Ok, so I've got some bowls I tossed that I want to be food/dishwasher safe, I've got c/4-6 clay, food safe glaze and a very nice kiln (Paragon Iguauana; rated cone 10). But here's the problem, my buddy who owns the kiln uses it for glass so he doesn't know anything about clay and I'm new to this whole thing so, yeah...

If I want be food safe do I fire at cone 6 both times since that is what my clay is rated? Or would it be better to do a ramp mode? I haven't fired my pieces at all yet so I'm even talking bisque here. Any help?

I hope all this blabber makes sense :) Any help would be really appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with firing please

You can bisque fire at a lower temp. just make sure if you are using a cone 6 glaze you need to take the glaze firing to the cone 6.The food safe part has to do with the glaze and not the clay.The cone #'s on clay is the hottest you can fire that particular clay before the clay body starts to break down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here