Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycled Art - Leaf and Pansy canes

Posted by lamb43 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 02 at 14:25

This is the coffee can I've been working on. I chose not to glaze it, just buffed it. I had planned on using the original snap on plastic lid as that's what I've done in the past. It won't work this time, unfortunately. It's too small or maybe the can expanded too much? I'll make one now with my trusty watercolor paper and clay but it won't be airtight :-(
If anyone has any suggestions or idea's to avoid this in the future, I would love to hear them.

Lamb - the frugal crafter

Image link: Recycled Art - Leaf and Pansy canes (21 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycled Art - Leaf and Pansy canes

Your pansy canes look really good.....what is your technique for buffing for the shine. I have been sanding and sanding. Then tried buffing on denim. Would like to attain the deep shine that I have seen on Donna Kato's work.

o

With this, because I pressed the detail/veins into the pansy cane slices, I buffed it with my favorite denim shirt LOL I think it must be that the denim fabric in that shirt is so old, and has been washed so many times, it has the perfect textures for buffing. I get different effects, too, by using different parts of the shirt. For serious buffing (where it needs extra effort) I use the collar, cuffs, and the button hole side of the shirt. For large scale buffing, where there isn't a lot of detail work, I use the regular shirt material itself. Does that make sense? LOL
I know it's the shirt, too, because I've tried new jeans, old jeans, stone washed jeans, etc., and nothing else gives the same results. Oh yeah, and when I 'quick-cool' any of my work (plunging a piece straight from the oven into cold water) if I plan to do buffing on it, I get a little head start by drying with a soft terry dish towel. You have to be careful there, I've found, because if I rush it and try the towel before the item is cool enough, I've made more work for myself by imprinting the towel fabic into the still warm clay. Reheating with hot water or putting it back into the oven for a minute or two won't correct that either.
Sanding and buffing to a satin or mirror shine, I've found some really good stuff, too, but I'll put my methods on the discussion page instead.

o

Thanks for the info.....will watch for your tips.......

o

This is beautiful, Lamb! I love the colors. Have you tried trimming around the top, where the lid would go, with a sharp blade?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here