Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

I might need a few holiday prayers

Purplemoon
13 years ago

My 86 yr old Dad is in the hospital. I wasn't going to say anything, don't want to be a 'downer' right now with all the great posts and photos. But I'm really worried about him and know how powerful prayers from friends can be!

Yesterday morning, when I went to get him up for breakfast, he was semi-concious and in bad shape. I called 911 and it turned out he was close to being in a hypoglysemic coma. His blood sugar registered 28. (80 is considered low). He was in the emergency room all day, and then admitted to hospital yesterday evening as his blood sugar kept going up and down. Today its been fairly stable at 100. But it doesn't look like he'll be released

any time soon.

I was here last night for a wonderful distraction, thank you all for that. It is such a help to see the beautiful photos and enjoy the posts. And pretend life is normal right now. I just want my Dad home for Christmas, with us all Christmas Eve at my daughters. So if you could send a few prayers for that to happen....

Aside from having 4 hunky firemen in my house yesterday morning (G) its been a difficult two days.

hugs, Karen

Comments (38)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh yes, Karen...good thoughts & prayers to you for your DD...you are both so fortunate to have each other in the good times & in the bad. Thanks for letting us know...the power of prayer is a comfort on so many levels. Prayers for all of you, family & friends, & your dear, dear Dad. May he be able to come home & share the love of family during the Christmas holidays. Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Oh Karen,
    I'm so sorry to hear that...T & P's coming your way right now!!
    LOL at the hunky firemen, glad you could keep a little humor to help you through the day.

Hold on to the positive idea of him home for Christmas eve and day!!

Yes, definitely, prayers are very powerful and the more there are definitely increases the impact of the message.

Lots of love and hugs to you!!

Candy

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Karen - you have them from NC. Sometimes it is hard for us to understand God's timing in things but keep the faith and know that we will all be praying for the very best Christmas for you and your family with your Dad at home ((hugs)) .....

Lynne

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Prayers for your Dad, you, and the whole family,
    as you deal with this during the holidays.

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Karen,

As someone who had the greatest dad in the world (a lot of us are lucky enough to have "the greatest dad in the world") I am sending prayers your way at this time of concern. I think he would say he had the greatest daughter in the world to care for him the way you do. I will include in my prayers a request for your strength and his recovery soon.

- Magpie

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Karen, adding your dad to my prayers, hoping he'll be fine & home for Christmas with his loving family! Remember to take care of yourself too!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Gang, from the both of us
    (photo taken last Christmas)
    {{gwi:1466987}}

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

Sincere prayers sent your way. The only real help anyone can truly give is from the heart, prayer and love.

A new helper,

Pat

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

That picture makes me smile. What a gift. I'm praying for you and your dad. It's an honor to be asked to pray for someone.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Karen, I'm so sorry you are going through this difficult time with your Dad. I am praying for all of you.
    That is a wonderful picture of you and your Dad.
    NanaKaren

• santacltr2
    13 years ago

Karen, I'm sorry that you and your family are going through this. I am sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Prayers are a very powerful thing.
    Hugs to you all.
    Nancy

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Karen, hope you had a good nights sleep knowing so many were praying for both of you. Lovely picture from last Christmas. You are a very pretty lady but way to serious in that picture. Hope a smile comes through in this years Christmas picture!

More thoughts and prayers heading your way today. So glad you let all of us know what's going on so we could be here for you. Be sure and tell dad the gang's all cheering him on for a speedy recovery so you can celebrate Christmas together at DD's home.

Punk

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Karen, your Dad is on my list. You are as well. I hope we all will be hearing good news soon.
    God bless you both, OA

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

You know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Sure hope he stablizes and makes it home soon. Know this added worry is hard for you. Hugs, Luvs

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Karen, so sad to hear of someone else having a parent to worry about. Will certainly say a prayer that your dad heals quickly and can come home for Christmas.

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

Karen, I add my thoughts and prayers to the others, for both you and your dear Dad. May God also grant you strength and peace as you fight this battle.Love and prayers coming your way, Janet

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I'm so glad that I checked in here this morning, (((Karen))). I am so sorry that your dad is doing poorly. Yes, he will definitely be in my prayers . . . many times today and until you let us know that he's coming back home. Please keep us posted.
    Lynn

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Ahhh Karen...you both are in my special thoughts...
    I loved the picture....you are a beautiful lady and your Dad looks like he's happy to be there with you!
    Hugs and blessings to you both,
    J

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm home for supper, and to grab a few relaxing minutes here reading posts. Then will go back for evening visit.

Dad's blood sugar has been in the good range today, and stable. But he's having other problems now, and definitely won't be home for Christmas.

See y'all later tonight.
    hugs, Karen

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update! I was wondering how he was progressing.

Good news about the blood sugar.

Please take care of yourself!!! I know what a caring and unselfish person you are and I know you have a tendency to neglect yourself when you are worried about others, but if you get too run down, then you won't be able to help your Dad, so take time for Karen!!

Big, warm, fuzzy hugs to you and your family,
    Candy

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Hoping they'll be able to work out the other issues quickly. I'm sure you're a mess with worry. Just love on your dad as much as you can and like Candy said, remember to take of yourself too.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Karen, he really can't come home for Christmas? Please keep us updated, now I'm worried because Christmas is over a week away.

I've got diabetes and boy, the nature of the beast is the blood sugar levels and what it does to us.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you two. Take it easy though so you don't get sick!

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Just quickly checking back in here this evening to see how your dad s doing, (((Karen))). I'm so sorry that he won't be home for Christmas, though. I've been keeping you both in my prayers today and again this evening. Please continue to keep us all posted.
    Lynn

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Karen...love the pic...quite a sweetheart of a Dad!
    Hope you are surviving the hospital trips/sitting...not like being at home. Take good care of yourself, kiddo...will keep good thoughts & prayers coming. Thanks for the update. Jeanne S.

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Karen, prayers still for you & your dad. I know how stressful it is to sit at the hospital day after day, many of us have been in that situation & it is not an easy thing to do.

Plus, sitting there, you have the constant worry about your loved one, so please know you are not alone.

Don't worry about Christmas, it's just a day, you can have it when your dad does come home!

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Karen...I'm so sorry to respond to this about your Dad, so late..I've only just had a chance to come on here..
    I'm in a simular situation with my Dad..but will explain in another post.

Please know that I'm extending prayers to your Dad and your family...it's a stressful situation for all.
    That picture of the two of you is so sweet. I remember enjoying the pics you posted of him, from different fam ocassions.
    ((((((((hugs to you)))))) and take care of you too.

jane

• creekdweller
    13 years ago

Karen, Sorry to hear about your Dad. Prayers being sent for you and your...(((((Hugs))))) Daddy's and Mama's are so special, to still have around at this age.

And yes, Please take care of yourself. My husband is so worried about me, I have lost so much weight from all the stress of this year.

Creek

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Jane, sorry to hear your Dad is not doing well too. You've sure had allot of stuff going on in 2010, let's hope the New Year will be easier.

Creek, I'm sorry your year has been so stressful too--you know you need to take care of yourself in order to be able to handle the problems that come up. And your poor hubby now worrying about you as well as what's going on. Hugs to you both.

Karen, hope you were able to get some good sleep last night. Thank goodness, the hospital is not far from your home. Keep us posted on how your Dad is doing, okay?

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Good morning. I hope you had a good night's rest. I know how stressful the back and forth to the hospital can be. I am still thinking of you and your dad. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SICK.
    God bless.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Karen, I'm back briefly to see how your dad is doing today. OA, the sweet, kindhearted gal that she is, has said what we're probably all thinking.
    I'll check back later to see if there's any news from you and from Jane, as well.
    Lynn

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are so darn sweet to be worrying about me! Going back and forth to the hospital is made a lot easier due to it being less than 5 min from me. (If it was much of a drive, I'd be in trouble for sure). The hospital is beautiful, they've decorated it for Christmas with a huge tree in the lobby and lovely wreaths and garlands every where. The walls and carpets are soothing, lovely colors. Honestly, things like this help so much with the stress level for me. I hate hospitals that have that "cold, sterile" feeling to them. The staff here are wonderful too.
    So aside from going up there during the day and again in the evening, its really not bad. I'm just tired and the worrying kicks the Fibro into high gear. I do take precautions as Fibro is an auto-immune disease, which means your immune system is weakened a lot. I've had my flu shot, and my pneumonia shot. Probably the worst that will happen to me is catching a "Christmas cold"....from my DH, who always gets one every dang year. LOL.

No change today. Dad is feeling ok, and getting plenty of company between me, my 3 kids, and the older grandkids.
    Plus long-distance calls from old friends I notified out of state. I feel awful about his poor little Yorkie tho...Zorro is 13 yrs old and doesn't understand where his
    "daddy" is. They have been constant companions all these years and really need one another. I'm giving Z lots of extra attention but I know its not the same.

Those of you who've been so sick recently, I hope are feeling pretty much back to normal. And the rest of you-- try to avoid the flu or the darn Christmas colds!

hugs, Karen

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I'm so glad that your father is holding his own, (((Karen))), and that he has you and the rest of your family close by to visit and keep him company. The hospital sounds like the kind that all hospitals should be. It's good to know it's a very pretty and soothing place for you both. Take care and know that we're sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way . . . for your dad and for you, too.
    Lynn

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

Karen, I'm keeping your dear father in my prayers- and am adding a few for you- for being such a devoted daughter and caregiver. I hope that each day finds him making progress and feeling better, and that he'll soon be home with you and his beloved Zorro. (((Karen))) please take care of yourself and allow yourself some time to rest.
    Hugs,
    Annie

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Karen, you are so sweet to be concerned for Zorro and your DDad. Hope things start to improve soon for your dad. Glad to hear you are taking precautions to care for yourself. Will keep sending Well Wishes your way.

The hospital sounds pretty the way you described it.

TCMDF,

Punk

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Karen, hope your dad improves each day, never can tell with older folks, they often have some "hidden strength" to get through things. I've seen it often before. Zorro might be able to visit if you explain the situation to the folks at hospital. They are allowing some of that at our regular hospitals, even have a dog that comes & visits patients that don't even have any animals, they say it calms them. Worth a try & could do a world of good. Don't let Zorro down(germs neither Zorro or you need)if they let him. Prayers will be ongoing for you & your sweet dad & family. Jan

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Thanking God for your family, Karen...with the kids/g'kids closeby, it certainly is a blessing for your DD & you! Hugs to Zorro, too...my, he lives in a household of "love" with your family pets, too! A big hug for you, Karen..continued good thoughts & prayers. Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Karen...I just popped in here to see how things were going for you. Glad your trip to the hospital is not a far one. I hope your Dad continues to improve ea day. It's so good to hear that he has visitors and calls from those he knows...that's good for the morale.
    Even though Zorro misses his Daddy..he's a lucky little guy to be surrounded by so much love and attention.
    Take care of yourself...and when possible use those hand sanitizers to keep those germs away.

jane

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Karen,

It sounds to me like your father is improving. All the family company and the friends' calls are sure to bolster his attitude and that should help get him out of there (even a nice hospital is NO substitute for home)!

I agree with Sunny--see if you can take Zorro to see your dad. If nothing else, take pictures--when I took pictures of her cat to my mom in the hospital, she brightened considerably.

My continuing prayers to you and all--Slinky, Yachter, Creek, and anyone I've forgotten--who are having troubles this season.

- Magpie

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals
More Discussions