Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Post your Nativity photo here ... got a favorite...here's mine!

jeannespines
10 years ago

Hi Holiday-ers ... Anyone have their fave nativity scene out for the Christmas holidays! If you want to share on this link, please do! Here's a couple of mine I got out this week.

This old ceramic one dates me ... made it back in 1974 & still love having it out for Christmas. Here' it is on top of my china cabinet in the living room. Jeanne S.

Comments (77)

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohhhh isn't that just beautiful, garden2garden! What a lovely gift for your friend.

OA ... your 35 yr old nativity set is so very lovely ... I can see that each piece is very detailed ... your display is wonderful ... the lighting in the manager & the star above.

arcy ... love your collection from over the years & your sharing of the message of Christmas' past celebrations. It is wonderful that your MIL got the set to you. I am also intriqued w/the unusual 'pearl -alized' looking set you found for under $10 ... lovely. That large lawn set looks to be quite detailed & wonderful. We don't have a lawn set but we do display 3 angels w/Peace on Earth...this pic is from a few yrs ago & is the backside view from out my front windows.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing here ~~ Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

OA, what a beautiful set you've had to cherish
    through the years together.

Donna, so glad you rescued that little ornament for your DF.
    I'm sure she will love it. Great way to show the real beauty of
    it with the light shining through.

Punk

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

I'm late to the party but finally set out my nativities. I had to redo one of my kitchen displays to set up my porcelain nativity. If you looked at my kitchen post, you'll see how I changed it out. I have extra pieces and a santa with this set. Left the lg santa and train since they are white.

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

This is my Homco nativity. You ladies have really changed how I decorate since I came here. I have always liked to change things but never shopped like I do now. I have more I will post with bathroom decor.

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

Punk, your nativities are really pretty. Glad you were inspired to set them up. Your white set with the gold trim look like the Mikasa ones....they had another version besides mine.

Donna, that ornament is lovely. Know your friend will be so happy with it.

This is a small set I found super cheap, softly done in pale blue and a creamy white! (Not good pix, snapped
    close-ups in the box for you to see) The set is Mary, Joseph, the 3 Wise Men, a lamb and a donkey, and of course baby Jesus. Not all showed in these photos, I was TOO close.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I sure need camera lessons!! Tho I have to say, my little digital one really tries hard to be 'idiot-proof'. LOL
    hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Punk & Karen ... beautiful! I love the pale blue/creamy white...looks very soft, PM.

punk...the white nativity set is gorgeous! Yes, it does look like Mikasa ... so pretty w/the gold trims. & the Homco set is so detailed ... lovely. I have the 3 elves on the treadle machine in those 'wood square shelves' for the wall ...they're Homco...so cute & detailed. I'll have to take a pic of Dollbaby w/her tray'scape Nativity set. TFS! Jeanne S.

• swest2_gw
    10 years ago

Even though each nativity set is very different, each has the same message. Merry Christmas and Peace on Earth. Thank you all for sharing. I especially like the stories behind each nativity set. Thanks for sharing.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I am having with-drawls. I had to pack them all away. Here is our newest--purchased at a tag sale this summer!

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Here is where my obsession began. My dad made the stable/setting..we added figures for years. I love the depth of this set. Love that there is an entire village represented.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Here is a follow up--what the church set ended up looking like.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Here is the first set I ever purchased. The stable is new--made by my father. This is the set I wrapped up each piece individually and the kids opened during advent. Now it is daughter #2's for when she begins her adult life.

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

Arcy, your "village" Nativity is so unique! A really special set. And the church set is lovely, painted so nicely! I love the stable your father built !! What a treasure to now have for your family for many, many years to come!

That outside set was a really good find. I don't blame you for hating to pack things up. I'm feeling that way myself this time. Wish Christmas had lasted a few more weeks, I'm just not ready to put things away.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arcy ... thank you for sharing all these wonderful pics ...what 'treasures' ... the stable/setting that your Dad made & started the whole thing is absolutely gorgeous!
    I know it is hard to believe that Christmas has passed by so quickly ~~

Here is one of my fave sets from my Mom & Dad that I set up @Dollbaby's high chair tray ... it reminds me of the Precious Moments figurines but it is not ... from Mexico. Mom & Dad brought back sets of the Nativity for all of us ... a precious gift of time. Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    10 years ago

I have at least one nativity set in every room.

This is the one in my guest room. It is kid friendly as it is resin, so the DGK's can play with it.

This one is in my bathroom. I had to use an old photo as the one I took this year is blurry.

This one is in the powder room and is a small water globe.

This is in the upstairs hallway and is a GdWl find.

This is in the sewing room and is so old, the candles have lost their color.

I made this set in 1975 and my 1st DH made the stable.

This one is in the DGK's room and tells the nativity story, lights up and plays songs to accompany the story.
    Our 16 yr old DGS was staying in this room and I didn't notice his deodorant was in the photo until I was previewing it now, LOL

This is in the master bedroom.

This one is in the dining room hutch and has a light that shines on the family.

I have several more, but this took quite a while to complete so enough for now, LOL

TTFN,
    Candy

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

jeannespines your white set reminded me of #1 daughter's bedroom set. She too keeps saying it looks like Precious Moments. She has outgrown this one and it now sits in the rec room on a shelf. All the kids are growing out of the set that was always the one they set up in their rooms. I think next year this book case will have a different set on each shelf.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

The other cast off for the shelf is my original nursery set. I can still remember when it sat high on a shelf but fit right into all the other baby things.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

The dining room got two. This one for advent and the one following for the window--

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I have another smaller acrylic set for the Kitchen window sill. I like this one because it is the only hand carved set I have.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

The acrylic is so small I had to have another for the kitchen.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I can't seem to just let some other Christmas motif stand alone. I seem to have snuck a Nativity in everywhere. I have a collection of trees sitting on an old stock-man's desk that the center tree is decorated in a miniature set of ornaments that are the nativity, I have a garland I put across the family room window that is embellished with a set of ceramic ornaments that again are the nativity made by my MIL years ago. And then there is this one. Sort of "Where's Waldo"? Can you see the black wire nativity pieces snuggled in between the band? So how many is that I have posted? Too many no doubt. Sadly my kids would say I haven't scratched the surface. A few years ago they attempted to count how many I have. They gave up at 45--and I know there are several that have been added since then. Thanks again for starting this thread!! It is amazing how many different sets there are out there. I love it!!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh...these are just so beautiful to see ... I am so happy that you shared some more arcy& that you added many of yours, candy. They are so beautiful & as we all remind ourselves, the reason for the season.

candy ... that gold set in your BR are so beautiful ... & I love the resin set that gr'kids can 'handle.' That globe is beautiful because of the amazing 'stand' you have it sitting on!

arcy ... wow ... lost count @45, uh .... well, we all love 'collecting' here! ;-) The hand-carved set in the window sill is lovely ~~ & that lil' nursery set is adorable... I like the colorful set on your mantle, too.

TFS, gals ~~ a good post ... here is one more set from last year that I didn't get out .. also from my parents ...ceramic/painted/gold accents from their trips into Mexico ...I will make sure I found a spot next yr ...I was short this end table top! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

I love going through all the photos. This is a great post.

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

It is a GREAT post!! We'll have to try and keep it 'alive' for next Christmas sharing again. :o)

Arcy and Candy, you both have many wonderful Nativities.
    Wow, 45 and counting, Arcy! That is an amazing collection of them. The little hand-carved is quite special I think.

hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

It is awesome to see all the beautiful Nativities.
    I've come back to look quite a few times.
    Nana

• maggiemuffin360
    10 years ago

This is my favourite (only) Nativity. I have had it for over 30 years. Spent weeks looking for a Nativity set that was a creamy white and was absolutely thrilled when I found this one. A friend gave me the stable so it is extra special.

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

Arcy,
    I'd love to see a few of the figures on the brick fireplace up close. Do you have the time for a picture?
    OA

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

I'm so amazed at how many different nativities are posted on here. I love it that we have something so many are jumping in on. This is a wonderful post and I agree, it's so fun to keep coming back to look.

Here's my latest humel set that I bought.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Serendipity...that is beautiful ... love the all white ~~plus the stable is unique w/the fencing in front...cool!

Ohh, this baby/child Hummel nativity set is so 'warm' ~~ beautiful colors & looks good on that colorful placemat!

TFS! Jeanne S.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

oooooo I too love the colors of the Hummel. I find it AMAZING how many different sets there are.
    oldalgebra not sure which you are referring too. The brick is a weird half wall in my entry, the fireplace is stone. The set on the fireplace mantel makes an advent wreath so each section has a candle holder in it. It sits on our table until Christmas day when it moves to the fireplace mantel where the Kings for my "main" set sit through advent. The black wire set is on the wall. Either way it is all packed away and not in a place I could easily get to, sorry!! I could try and crop and enlarge the picture--but I bet it would go pixely and not give anymore detail.

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

All of these sets are going to make me want one for each room too! I can't believe how many of you have so many. Just love all the variety on here. Each one is so unique.

Arcy, you must have alot of storage for your beautiful collections.
    Looks like Candy has beautiful ones too.
    Serendipity, I totally agree with Jeanne on yours.

I need to have DH build me some stables and this post will be wonderful to show him for ideas. Now I want moss, burlap, etc on mine too! Or maybe I can be like Jeanne and see a 'thingy' and use it!LOL Still cracks me up with your insight lady.

Thanks for the comments and hope to see more pictures!

Punk

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

"Can you see the black wire nativity pieces snuggled in between the band? "
    It's the brick wall wire ones. Sorry. I guess I didn't read as carefully as I should.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

All my boxes fit neatly in a small storage spot under the stairs.
    I am amazed at how much I can puzzle in there!!

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

I love those! Wherever did you find them?

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Gosh I am thinking Collections etc or Domestications. Most likely on clearance. I have had them for at least 10 years so I can't really be sure. It was a medium I didn't have. I thought they were unusual. I justify a new set when it is very different from one I have. Ya, it doesn't fool anyone here either. My people do not really appreciate my penchant for collections. Admittedly it is not a usual one. It was nice to find another "crazy" when christmascandy posted!!

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

archy,

This forum is full of collectors. I'm a big one myself, although I haven't gotten into nativity sets yet.

Purplemoon is the craziest collector I've ever seen. She's like a Duracell Battery - she just keeps going and going and going!

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Oh for sure I know many collectors--I just haven't come across many who collect nativity sets! It is the norm for one to stand alone in a home each Christmas. I have many relatives who think this is the craziest collection ever. When there are so many and they are all so different, well you know....

• christmascandy
    10 years ago

Arcy, LOL "It was nice to find another "crazy" when christmascandy posted!!"

I have at least one nativity set in every room and some rooms have several. My DH thinks I am crazy because of all the décor I put out every year!! I just tell everyone these are my toys and I really like playing! BUT, I also think it is very important to recognize the reason for the season!! Hence, the proliferation of nativity sets. My first one was the ceramic one I made in 1975, and for many years that was the only one, but then I discovered my love of thrift stores and started discovering so many different and unique ones, that I just kept collecting!

I will say belonging to this forum has definitely "encouraged" me to collect many things!! LOL

I see many sets on here that I really am drawn to, especially that nursery set you have. I also have the Playmobil one for the DGK's, but mine did not come with the camel or wise men. Otherwise, it is exactly the same right down to the box!

I agree with Karen, that we should reprise this thread again next Christmas.

Candy

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Candy, you hit the exact reason I ended up with so many nativity sets. For years I collected Christmas trees and angels struggling to fight against Santa and Snowmen. When I married DH, my MIL had one in most rooms of her home and an addiction was born!! It was something I had never thought of!! I too discovered second hand and cast offs. I think this is why my family balks the most. They know I am preaching and really here in my home, I am preaching to the choir, as they say. I love to see the thread each year of the Christmas tea where each group does a table scape. Imagine if they were all done with a different Nativity set!!!
    FYI: I LOVE LOVE LOVE snowmen and have that collection out now that Christmas is done.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's one more on my porch ... just a 3-pc set ... I found it @church rummage sale a couple yrs ago & just love it ... it's made of a heavy plastic of some sort but LOOKS so woodsy & detailed. I love it!

Ok, bring on the snowmen decor pics!!! LOL! ;-) Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Ok, I'm being lazy tonight so thought I would share more of my nativities on here.
    As I thought about nativities, I really have quite a few. Won't stop me from buying
    more either if the price is right. I just need to be more on top of things and set them
    up properly next year. I'm so thankful my DM had so many wonderful ones to pass down.

The first one I'm posting is a House of Lloyd ornament from 1993.

This one is from Silversmiths.

I put this together with a Hummel baby from a dear friend.

These pictures were from my matching curio to Karens last year.

TJ's glass nativity set.

I'd really like to take time and go through my nativity totes again. Maybe it will warm up and I will
    do that in a few months. I wonder if it's easier for those in warmer climates to stay more organized.
    This has been fun and hopefully will keep me more organized for next year.

Punk

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You have some very beautiful nativity sets, punk...
    I love the Hummel baby Jesus w/the other set you already had.
    Also TJ's glass set is a nice size for her tray'scape.
    That is a beautiful Silversmith under that tree.

This has been so joyful looking @all these nativities ... God bless our new year 2014! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Jeanne, forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed seeeing your last nativity. I'm thinking you could make anything beautiful!!! This set looks wonderful in front of the candles and sitting on your chest.

Oh someone on CL has a white wicker set like yours. I asked DH if we should go get it but he forgot to answer me.haha I'm thinking it would look good out there with our white wicker table that matches Candy's.

Thanks for all your sweet comments. This is why I love our Holiday forum! We can get new ideas from others and no one is offended if someone wants to be a copy cat. As we know things never look identical any way.

Seems like your the one who's keeping Holidays going right now. We best stay on top of things and make sure Nana's doing fine.

Take Care and stay warm. Punk

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

phonegirl I love the Silversmiths set. I have seen a smaller version. Thank you for sharing they are all beautiful.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Found it!! Her is last year's thread. I would love to see any other's! Here is one I didn't share yet. As a way to share my obsession I "gifted" my Godchildren with one piece of a nativity set each year. Here is my DS's set--my sister copied my lead. This set is particularly near and dear because my dad made the stable. For years he made a few for the church festival each year. After he did the village discussed in another thread he caught my bug and the rest is history!!

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Here's mine inside and outside:

• phonegirl
    9 years ago

Arcy and Aputmute so glad your sharing your beautiful
    Nativities! Beautiful read Arcy. Keep sharing please.

Punk

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Aputernut what are the origins of your kings? They are magnificent!! DH and I took a trip to Bronner's this fall. #1 on my bucket list was a visit!! I am sooo embarrassed and feel so STUPID. I was not interested in the video of the history as I knew it and saw much on Youtube, so avoided the "Program room". I did peak in at one point and it was dark as a show was going on...The next day, an hour outside of Frankenmuth I began reading their literature. To my GREAT frustration I discovered in that dark room are cases of 150+ nativities from 50+ different countries!! I have been begging and the Bronner's Facebook page has begun posting pictures of some of them. Unfortunately they do not post as many Creche sets as they do ornaments. But they are not for sale--they are a private collection so I get it. ANYWAY I added a camel and cow to my outdoor set..and I am scouring ebay for a few more shepherds..there are some older characters out there I would love to get my hands on!! We also went to one large spot light. DH is very into cutting our wattage use DOWN. I have a star hanging on the back of the light pole, and we have enough snow to cover the blue extension cord so it is all very nice IMHO

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohhhhh..... please start another new thread for 2014! I love this post .... but it takes so long to download. Beautiful, beautiful & it's fun to look back ... thanks for finding this arcy!!! Would you start one? I don't have mine out yet. ~~Jeanne

• plainjane425
    9 years ago

Wow...this was wonderful to see! I love all the
    Beautiful Nativity collections and the stories behind them.
    So many lovely memories...
    I honestly don't remember this when it was first posted..but then realized it was right after I sold my home...And I was 'out of the loop' ! Lol
    Glad it was posted again...I really enjoyed looking.
    jane

• fivefootzero
    9 years ago

Here is our nativity. My husband's grandmother made 4 sets of these. One for each of the three grandchildren and one for my mother in law. They all progressively get bigger (older child, bigger set). Ours is the smallest.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro
More Discussions