Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to add some lights to a boxwood tree?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 23:35

We have a preserved boxwood similar to the one below that stands in our foyer entrance that we would like to hang some Christmas type lights on.

Any recommendation on how to do this or what types of lights?

Smiley face

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to add some lights to a boxwood tree?

My vote would be for clear LED's wound through the ball and then winding around the stem to get to the top ball as well.
JMHO,
Candy

o

I'd use those LEDs that are little "drops of light" on very thin wire.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starry starry lights

o

OA, I had no idea they made such a thing! I need those! :)

o

They're actually pretty cool, PartyM. They come in all colors, including multi-colored.
The thin wire all but disappears at night and, despite its thinness, can be twisted into any shape.
The little lights can be made to look at though they floating above the object to which they're attached. AND, they come in battery operated form.

o

pbx2, sorry for the slight detour on the thread. :)

OA, Thanks for the additional info. I hope they last at that price though. I've tried various brands of incandescent lights but they all seem to only work reliably for one year so I'm skittish about paying LED prices. :p

Is Jeanne reading this? Does she use these 'starry lights' on her vine trees now?! I thought they looked a little different this year. Inquiring minds need to know. lol!

o

Those look like cool lights, the 'starry ones.'
No, I don't have those on my vine tree, party ... I use the ones that are called 'rice' lights, I think. & I also buy only the 'brown cord' ones for my vine tree...so you don't really notice the cord. ;-)

I've never had a boxwood like you pictured on this post, pbx2 ... so have no 'how-to' advice for you. Sorry. Hope you'll post a pic of yours lit up! ;-) Jeanne S.

o

Thank you all.

Those are some great suggestions.

@ christmascandy - I tried using regular LED string lights but they were too big to hide inside the round ball part.

@oldalgebra - I have looked into those & the Martha Stewart's version from target but they were all out locally - so I may have to suck it up & spend it on the ones you posted in that link.

@jeannespines - I've never heard of 'Rice lights' are they just tinier version of regular string christmas lights? Same as Micro LED Lights?

@party_music50 - no worries - more conversation = more info for every1 :) Also, don''t be afraid of LED prices. In the mid-long run - they last longer & use less energy = win for you.

o

pbx2, thanks for the encouragement on buying LED. I'm just sick at the bazillion incandescent strings I have that only partially work. I definitely need to research all these new lighting options that are now available!

Jeanne, thanks for the info on rice lights! I love your vine tree!

This post was edited by party_music50 on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 19:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here