Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

NEAT Ornament idea

Purplemoon
13 years ago

I love how she did these ornaments, and such a simple idea! Her tutorial is very good.

Also its a neat project for some of you to do with kids or grandkids.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty ornaments

Comments (14)

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Karen,
    I've never really liked any ornaments made with CDs. UNTIL NOW. They're great looking. And you're right, my grandchildren would love this - easy and a nice result. This is on my list for next year.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

The vintage ornaments are beautiful & did you see the trees from white card stock. 3 pieces of card stock fold open stitch down fold line holding all 3 together & lightly trace pattern she gives on each side of line & cut through all 3 cards. Open for beautiful trees & storing is a snap, lay them flat!! Wow!! Thanks a ton!! Jan

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Adding it to my list, they are adorable. I have saved my cards (Christmas and other holidays) for years.
    Frou

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I agree with OA, haven't really cared for the cd projects until this one! I think that fake snow is what makes them look so great.

Like Frou, I've saved cards for years too. I've tried using them in various ways like cutting them out for gift card tags, mod podging onto a box, etc. Both of those looked very "homemade" and not that terrific.

I think this project would be fun, easy, and inexpensive. I even have a garland with some snowflakes on it that I could cut up--or I could cut some with the Cricut.

Would be a fun way to spend a rainy day--not that I need more ornaments, but could be cute to tie on gift bags for neighbor/friend gifts next year.

Thanks for sharing, Karen, I want to browse that blog more too and see her other ideas.

Luvs

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I love her blog and have it saved in my decorating favorites - she has some fantastic ideas and great tutorials. We will be doing that idea next year when the grand daughter and grand nieces get just a little older. This year we kept it REALLY simple with a 2 year old involved - next year we will break out the GLITTER!!!! TFS .....

Lynne

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

LOL, lynnenc, over your "glitter" remark! As I read her tutorial, I was thinking about the "faux snow" ... comparing it in my mind to "glitter" projects! But, the way she added the faux snow was ingenious! Looks like a real fun project! I've tucked it away, too! Thanks purplemoon!

Have you ever busted up CD's into hundreds of pcs! ...& then glue them on foam balls to make "Disco" balls! That was one project I did with kids when I worked at library! UGH! Always trying to figure out ways to recycle CDs at that time! LOL! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Thanks Karen. These ornaments are so cool. I always have used CD's so will have to try some of these.

Jeanne, were the CD's sharp to work with? I've never broke one before. Sounds pretty tho.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Instead of spray painting the one side of the CD, I'd glue TWO together. Then you can do images on both sides, plus the ribbon hangar can be slipped between them before you glue them.
    Just a thought... ;o)

hugs, Karen

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Such a neat idea. Totally awesome. I will save this tutorial. Also like the idea of glueing two CDs together.
    This is recycling at it's best.

Marylee

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

punk...no, CD's weren't sharp when broken up...we had a donation box set up & at that time, people were receiving free AOL start-up CD's in the mail & lots of other free CD stuff ending up in the garbage. Broke them up with pliers & a hammer! Fun, uh?

We also did what Karen suggested...glued back to back with ribbon in the middle...but they were a bit bulkier & heavier but worked! These vintage ones are really pretty on this blog. Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the link with us Karen!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the first CD idea that I've really fallen in love with. Other than the suncatcher in the garden, where you glue the colored half marbles to the one side. Its real pretty in the sun and looks neat hanging from a small tree.

Wonder if its possible to modify this idea for other holidays? Instead of the snowflakes on the edge, the colored feathery boas I've seen?

hugs, Karen

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Love it. Wish I had seen this earlier, to pass along to friends who teach. I'll "file" it away for next year.
    Merry Christmas,
    Nancy

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Karen, I like your idea of putting two together instead of doing the spray painting. Would look better have both sides finished too I think. Good thinking! Luvs