Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Christmas tree flies! Ugh!

bpath
10 years ago

We cut down our tree from the tree farm again this year. We often find a surprise in the tree, such as an old bird's nest. This year's surprise showed up a day later: flies! Large black ones, I think they're called cluster flies. All the info I've seen on getting rid of them involves shaking the tree before bringing it in. Well, too late for that.

So, is there a way to get rid of the flies besides the flyswatter? We're getting quite good at it. The cats are no help at all. Just how many more flies can we expect? We've already killed almost 2 dozen.

Comments (13)

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

Never heard of this ... maybe some 'bug spray' ... with your doors & with your windows open! Yikes ... Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear this. If it was in our home, like Jeanne said, I'd spray it good with RAID and leave home for a few hours. Pretty sure that would be the end of them.

Punk

• bpath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The thing is, we have cats, kids, and the lights and ornaments are on the tree. Do they still make flypaper, and would that attract them? Maybe I can just apply Raid to the windows, we usually see 2 on the window; at least they are easy to swat there.

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

They still do make fly strips...but uggggh...they are so ugly w/dead flies on them hanging around! Bummer! Jeanne S.

• bpath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, party_music (love your handle, if not your pun...just kidding, I love puns, too). We've only swatted 3 this morning, so we think they're on the wane. I've heard they can come from the attic etc., we've had an occasional similar fly in the past, but not in these droves. We see them mostly around the living room, and my son actually saw a few fly out from the tree.

Well, we've had the year the tree fell over during dinner, and the year the cat came, etc, so this is the year of the flies. Every Christmas should have a theme!

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

Another pun ... "Lord of the Flies" ... LOL! Sorry ~~ Jeanne S.

• bpath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeanne, not only a pun, but a blasphemous one as well LOL! The good news is, the flies seem to have petered out, and we haven't seen one that needed swatting all day long. I hope it's over :)

• Dawn Singer-Steres
    6 years ago

I too think my tree brought flies in. They were everywhere

• scottthebutcher
    4 years ago

We’ve had a massive amount of flies too. Never happened before and my wife is freaking out. Will be checking more diligently in the future

• Anna Gillespie
    3 years ago

This has happened to us twice. Ended up taking the tree down early

• chloebud
    3 years ago

"They'll probably drop like flies."

Maybe so!

I've not heard of flies in a Christmas tree until now. I've heard them mention on our news here to check your tree for what looks like walnuts. They're actually nests for praying mantis...lots of them! They said to remove the nest and place it outside in another tree or bush. Also never heard of that before!

• Jenny Grant
    2 years ago

oh my gosh! i bet ive killed 30 + of therse flys in my lounge and kitchen since putting my christmas tree up 5 days ago!! ita starting to really upset and stress me out! when will it stop…. oh hang on whilst i just kill another 2 that are buzzing round my head as i type!!!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions