Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Dollybaby Ready for Christmas & Gr'pa's Time Piece

jeannespines
13 years ago

Blizzard here in IA...so got a bunch done today for the holidays! Certainly was singing, Oh, the weather outside is frightful, the snow is so delightful... as I kept my nose indoors most of the day!

Dollbaby is now all decked out for Christmas. This outfit is from my cedar chest...my Mom & G'ma both had "cedar chests"...I think that's something from the past now-a-days...but, anyway, this outfit has been in it for many yrs! So, I thought, might as well put it to good use! Here's a fullview of Dollbaby: (oh, yeah, my Mom sewed this)

The red & white satin & fur was a tap-dancing outfit I wore when I performed at 7 yrs old on a local tv station for Father's Day! Something, uh! So I just kind of wrapped Babydoll in it! Here's a little closer view:

{{gwi:1466396}}

And here's a close-up of a candle doily (a gift) that I put around her wrist to show off the painted "Star Santa" (a gift 10 yrs ago or so):

The Nativity set is a gift (also long ago) from my parents, who were Winter Texans...mimics the Precious Moments type of decor...I have always loved it so! Here's a close-up of a few pcs:

{{gwi:1466400}}

This is me in June, 1954...quite a special occassion to be on tv! I think some other kids where I took tap dance lessons performed that day, too. You can see in this pic how the outfit is really supposed to fit!

I posted a thread on "buffet" decor...but wanted to show you a close-up vignette of DH's Gr'pa's time piece...the old wind-up clock, & added resin bird (a gift from a GJer friend), scroll sawed MChristmas, & a little wood birdhouse (gift from DD)...I'm learning so much on this forum & moving things from one area to another in my house!

A close-up of wooded vignette:

Besides snow, that white fur was sure flying everywhere today! (old stuff!) LOL! Stay safe & warm, everyone! TFlookin'. Jeanne S.

Comments (16)

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Dollbaby looks terrific in her red/white outfit. Cute little star santa ornament too. Love the little nativity, yes it sure does resemble Precious Moments. Love the old clock, had an Uncle who collected clocks--had them all over the house and insisted on keeping them wound. What a racket when they all chimed the hour! LOL Your pictures all look so nice like they should be in a magazine. You were/are certainly a cutie. How fun that you have that photo of when you got to be a television "celebrity". TFS
    Luvs

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, luvs...I'm online yet tonight. My parents didn't have alot of money...3 kids shared 1 BR ...but they did special things for us...my Mom sewed all our clothes back in those days. Have a good night, luvs. Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Well I don't know who's cuter in that outfit...you or Dollbaby! What a Christmas load of memories wrapped up in red satin. Your stories are as cozy and heartwarming as your home is.
    Dollbaby looks VERY happy in her Christmas dress, playing with her Nativity.
    The old wind-up clock sure made a special vignette, and more memories ticking by.

Love it all, and that you share it with us.
    hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Jeanne, you and dollbaby are both adorable in that outfit. What a great idea to use it for her. Cute little star santa. You are great at decorating.

Sorry your blizzard made it. Hope you can stay in and be safe and warm.

I'm sure enjoying all these pictures. The clock is wonderful. So is the resin bird and birdhouse. Thanks for showing all the closeup photos. You are such a great photographer.

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Dollbaby looks just adorable in her little Red with fur trim outfit. I agree with Karen, it's hard to decide on who looks cuter wearing it. That picture of you is just priceless.
    It's in amazing condition after so many years...but then, that's the reward of keeping it in your cedar chest. My DGM in Ohio, kept EVERYTHING in hers..We used to joke that 'All' that she loved was kept in there and we'd better be careful she didn't put us in there too!
    The little Nativity may not be Precious Moments, but is so 'Precious' looking!
    I love how you created the Vignette with the old clock using the birdhouse and little bird. Thanks for the close up on it.
    It's good that you can stay home with all that snow you're getting. Stay warm and stay safe.

jane

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Jeanne, Dollbaby looks so proud to be wearing your outfit. I don't know who looks cuter. The Nativity is charming and the Santa bracelet is really cute. The vignette with the clock is wonderful, you really know how to put things together. Sorry about the blizzard. We are getting ice today. It is supposed to warm up this afternoon. But that doesn't mean it will up here in the mountains. Oh well.
    NanaKaren

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

ditto what everyone else has said - Dollbaby couldn't look sweeter than she does in the red satin outfit and you looked adorable in it also - what wonderful memories - TFS

How wonderful it is that even tho many of you are snowed in this weekend we can still share with each other via the internet and this great forum. Everyone stay warm and safe .....

Lynne

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

I agree with what everyone has said. Your pictures are wonderful as well as the story behind them. Thank you for sharing.

Here in Ohio, it was raining this morning but it turned to snow. We are supposed to get about three inches. It looks beautiful sticking to all the trees. When it finally stops snowing, I hope my snow blower will start.

Marylee

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

That' a great story around the outfit. If it is a little picture, you should frame it and put it next to Dollbaby whenever she's dressed in the outfit.

(Love the ringlet curls!)

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, "holiday-ers" for your comments.

OA...that's a great idea about a framed pic by DBaby...this one is too big but I do have a snapshot my Mom must have taken for this special day. And this pic is one I remember seeing over the yrs as I was growing up...t.v. studio must have taken it. That outfit will be going bk in cedar chest after Christmas.

jane...my DGM always let me "snope" in her cedar chest when I spent an overnighter quite frequently...she was an inspiration! So glad to hear about your DGM's cedar chest!

Everyone...thank you...I enjoy taking pics & posting them here...& I love, love seeing everyone's pics & decor! Doing the decor is for (me)...but I'm thrilled to get feedbk from friends on this forum! Am ready to post some more pics. Still cold & windy, but sunny here...enjoy your day! Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Argggh..."snoop" in her cedar chest!

• calicocat1967
    13 years ago

Jeanne, love the little red dress. So cute. And what a story about it. Yes, we had quite a snow storm Saturday, great time to stay in and decorate. I love the old clock, and the way you used it is so natural.

Thanks for sharing,
    Kim

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Awwwwwww, that's so sweet, you and doll baby both. The nativity has that darling child like figures which work just right for doll baby. I have my mother's cedar chest too. It's was part of a "waterfall" bedroom suite from the 30's. I have some of my baby clothes in there and some of DS dance costumes too. He was a dancer for for the first 28 years and I can't part with some of the costumes which I hand made, I also keep a lot of crochet my mother did in there. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    Frou

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Love your woodland vignette, the old clock is perfect, like you, I'm learning to use things in different ways too.

Dollbaby looks great in your dance costume. I think I have a pic of myself (black & white too) in one of my dance costumes from about 7 years old too. I KNOW I don't have the costume anymore, but will have to think where that pic is now!

Great that you still have the costume from then.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Baby doll looked like the costume was made for her! You looked very cute in it also. Thought I would rake up leaves this morning & come in & make choc. covered cherries when mom called & bro. needed help,that was about 9:30 this morning. Got home in time for bowl of soup tonight as our 80+ weather has ended & was getting foggy & cold. But their house is looking good & den is restored to it's normal look after bro. painted & replaced border, rehung drapes & had to redo part of hardware. So they are almost ready for xmas & my house is a mess! That's OK because my dad loves looking at the tree & eating the goodies I make. Hope he doesn't turn LR into race track for his wheelchair! He's 94 & loves Christmas this year!Jan

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Jan, what a sweetheart you are to change your plans to go help at your Mom's. Bet she is happy to have a nice clean fresh room for the holidays. Sounds like your Dad is a "go-getter". My goodness, 94 and going strong! You are so lucky to still have them both. Maybe you can do your choc. covered cherries today--they do sound yummy! Luvs

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions