Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee97dar

Dining Table Question

dee97dar
11 years ago

I posted this question in the decorating forum too, but I wanted to ask it here as well since I know there are so many wonderful tablescapers here! I have a combination living/diningroom, and I have yet to do anything with the dining space since we eat meals in the breakfast nook in our kitchen. I have thought about using the dining space as a craft/reading area or as a dining area and I'm planning to buy a table for that space next year. I have always had rectangular tables, but I've seen a few pics lately of round tables with upholstered chairs that I liked. Does anyone have a preference between a round or rectangular table? I read something online that said round is best for conversation purposes but does it seem crowded? Is it easier to decorate and do tablescapes on a rectangular one versus a round one? Any thoughts are appreciated as I'm just now gathering ideas.

Comments (4)

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

Dee,
    For a round table, you need a large square space and for a rectangular table, a longer space.
    How many will you need to seat at the table?
    Most round tables will only accomodate about 8 diners, so if you are planning on large family holiday meals or more than 6 guests, you might need the rectangular table.

I have a rectangle table that has 3 leaves, so I can change it to accomodate the number of diners. Right now it is set for 10 people as I am having 14 for dinner tomorrow night, and I will be seating 4 guest at another rable as 12 is about the max the rectangle can handle.

So, a round table requires more width than a rectangle, but a rectangle requires more length than the round.
    How does your floor space fit those requirements?

Then, how many diners would you be hosting? My number keeps increasing with the addition of more grandkids, LOL.

Also, do you already have a chandelier for the area? If so, what shape is the chandy? How would it center over a rectangle vs. a round table?

Finally, I have found large round tablecloths to be more difficult to find than rectangles.

Just a few thoughts to take into consideration.

Merry Christmas,
    Candy

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

I have a rectangular dining table (seats 6) (an heirloom) that fills my dining area because of the matching buffet (which I love to decorate)(it gets quite 'cozy' in there) ...so my light does not hang directly over the table ...the best solution was to add a 'hook' & drape the wood chain so that it does look more centered over the table.

I have an round (actually oval) cause I leave the 'leaf' in the middle all the time ...on the porch ...I think the oval t'cloths are harder to find (on sale, anyway) but I love that table (seats 6 also) ... so I say just go with the one that 'sparks' your fancy! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

I have a folding round table that seats 8. I've used it on the patio for years. I hate it. For one thing, the table legs are always in the way. So if you get a round table, get one with pedestal legs. (That's a good idea for a rectangular table too.)

"I read something online that said round is best for conversation purposes"
    That's a myth.

Let's assume you find a good looking round table, large enough to accommodate 10 people (assuming you can fit it in your dining room, which is probably rectangular in shape), Now stop and think. Whenever you went to a wedding that had 8 - 10 people at a round table, were you able to easily talk to the people directly in front of you? No. They're too far away - even when the band is not playing. So in reality, you're able to talk to fewer people, not more. At least that's been my experience.

And suppose you're having just one couple over for dinner - or, say three friends for lunch. How do you seat them around a table for 10? Awkward.

I always dreamed of having a large enough dining room to accommodate a round table, but after a few years of trying to juggle friends around a round table (which looked very nice with a floor-length tablecloth and a simple centerpiece), I lost that dream real fast. Lots of people love them though.

They're great for breakfast rooms and family rooms, but not so hot for dining rooms. They LOOK good, however.

I'd say, look for a rectangular or oval one that takes leaves.

This post was edited by oldalgebra on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 14:50

• party_music50
    11 years ago

I agree with OA that large round tables actually inhibit conversations -- except with the two people who sit on either side of you.

You said you saw some round tables w/ upholstered chairs that you like, so I'd suggest that you try to find one that has several leaves so it extends to a large oval to seat more people.

I use a 44 x 56 oval table for my crafting... it also has leaves, but I seldom use them. I purchased the table as unfinished pine and used "diamond hard" polyurethane to coat it after staining -- it's impervious to water, so it's great for basket weaving, crafting, or potting plants. :)