Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Do they sell lights like this?

party_music50
11 years ago

Sorry, I do not have a photo. When I was a kid, my parents had the COOLEST lights for their bannister! I've never seen anything like them sold today. If my memory is accurate, each "bulb" was a different colored globe that was about the size of a tennis ball, and was covered in something that looked like coarsely crushed sugar crystals. I always loved those lights! Does anyone know where I could buy lights like that now?!

Comments (10)

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

PM, I couldn't find any like you described. I found some kind of cool ones that look like snowballs and change colors. I think I have the link to them below.

http://www.dealeurx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=132919&zenid=nsh8olp5gecrt6hiu7valdv9b3

If the link doesn't work, I went to the site "thefind.com" and entered "novelty christmas light sets."

Good luck on your search.
    Candy

• party_music50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANK YOU, Candy! I couldn't figure out what search terms to use to find anything 'different'! I used your search terms and scanned through the images and found some REALLY COOL lights!!! and, except for the variation in colors, the 2nd image on this page looks exactly like the lights my parents had!!! :) Although they have really cool lights on that site, there doesn't seem to be a way to purchase them. (?)

Thanks again! :)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 8:24

• nutmeg4061
    11 years ago

Christmas lurker here, pretty sure you mean these in the link. I searched "vintage frosted christmas lights". I still have one bulb in its cardboard box. Would be cute to use in a night light. You could probably find some vintage ones on etsy or ebay. Good luck!
    Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage-lighted-ice-christmas-bulbs

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

Here are some, but without the sugar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big LED light bulbs

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

I've also seen them sold at patio lights. They come in 9 foot strands I believe.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for the information and links! I now realize that what I described as 'sugar crystals' is SUPPOSED to be 'ice crystals'. I guess that means I think in terms of food first. :O)

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

I have to add one more thing (No, PM, it's not about how you gravitate toward food!).

This post represents one of the reasons I just love this forum. Post a question or problem you're having and you suddenly have a dozen suggestions concerning possible solutions.

In one of my very first posts (It might have been thee very first post), I asked what was wrong with my flower arrangement. It just wasn't right and I couldn't figure out what to do. Immediately, someone made a suggestion (in a very gentle "voice") and my problem was fixed.

In light of all the national Washington, DC fighting and the terrible tragedy in Connecticut with finger pointing going on in every direction, this is a haven of - well i know this is sappy, which is not like me - but this is a haven of love.

I know that every single one of you is carrying some sort of burden. Sometimes it's a light one, sometimes it's heavy. Still, we all come together because of our fascination with dishes (silly, huh?), and make each other smile. Wouldn't it be great if we could really get on that bus - just for one trip!

Merry Christmas to my Fellow Decorators.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

party...I did post on here once but must have forgot to 'send' or something! Anyway, yrs ago (probably 15 -20 yrsago) I got some of those icy(sugary) white balls that 'slip-over' mini-lights or whatever...this yr we found we could use them on the new 'blue LED' mini-type lights ...here's a close-up pic on the tree. They remind me of what you are talking about. ~~Jeanne S.

Well said, OA! Merry Christmas, Holiday-ers!

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

OA, your post brought tears to my eyes.
    Thank You!
    Holidays has been my haven of love for more than 2 years now.
    There is a kindness here that comes through in a way that can be felt right through the computer
    [if that makes sense].
    I agree that we all carry a burden, some we share,
    some we keep close to our hearts.
    Coming to this oasis as you said "because of our fascination with dishes [silly, huh?], and make each other smile".
    Is a bright spot in my day.

Merry Christmas
    Nana

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions