Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Christmas projects

christmascandy
10 years ago

My 7 yr. old DGD wanted a trundle bed for her Amer. Girl doll for Christmas, and her mother (my DD) wanted some storage for the doll and her clothes.

I checked online and the trundle bed was $95!!
The bedding was $34!!
And, the cardboard storage box was $50!!! Yikes!!

So........
I went to GdWl, bought an unfinished magazine rack and dismantled it. Then I looked up the picture/dimensions of the trundle bed online and started building. $3.25 for the magazine rack.

I also bought a pair of pillow shams and cut them up for the bedding. $2.99.

A package of wooden flowers and a package of small shaker pegs $1.99 each -40% off = $2.58. Those are the d�cor on the back of the bed and the drawer pulls.

B-4:

After:

For the storage unit: I found a black CD tower (or small bookshelf) that had 7 shelves, but was missing many of the pins to hold them in place. Then I found a wide picture frame with a smaller frame in the center. I removed the smaller frame, cut the top & bottom pieces an inch smaller with the chop saw to fit the size of the bookshelf, put it back together and cut a piece of beadboard to fill the center hole. Then I painted it black.
Then I also found a vertical curio cabinet that had a gable top. I cut off the gable, and painted the curio black, then mounted it inside the bottom of the tower. Off to $ Tree to get 4 square Christmas boxes. I covered them with black and white polka dot wrapping paper, and added some silver buttons (that were probably 40 years old) as the drawer pulls.
I used the frame as the cabinet door, and added a magnetic catch to keep it closed. Then I cut a piece of all-thread into the right lengths for more shelf pins as it was exactly the right size to fit into the holes of the cabinet to hold the shelves.

DH donated 3 black boxes that were the perfect size to fit on one of the shelves.

Voila!! A storage unit with room for the doll, accessories, and books! $6.75 for the tower, $4.25 for the curio, $2.97 for the hinges, $4 for 4 boxes, $1.99 for the frame, and the rest I already had including the paint. So, I ended up with a storage unit that was about $20 and is made of wood versus $50 for cardboard!

Since I have been busy building Christmas projects, decorating, baking and candy-making, and we hosted our Open House last Monday night, I have been a bit busy! I also had to work today as we had Regional and National managers in town and had to take them around for appointments. Also, our 2 oldest DGK's flew in for a week long visit last Sat.

Everyone is gone right now and I finally have time to breathe, so thought I'd post my latest projects.

Merry Christmas everybody!
Candy

Comments (12)

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Candy, your little trundle bed is adorable. Love the purple and aqua bedding you made. Great finds and building job. DH built our DGD one of the Am. Girl bunk beds last year or the year before. I enjoyed making the bedding and decorating it. She still plays with it.

Sweet doll and accessory storage to go with it. Love the polka dots inside it. A cute story for you. DGD was here a couple of weeks ago and I asked what she wanted for Christmas. She said some of the mommy and me outfits from American Doll. I told her we should look through the catalog and see what her favorites were because they are quite expensive. She tapped my arm and said 'Nana it's ok, I'll just have Santa bring all of them". I was speechless at that point.

Sounds like you have been busy, busy, busy. I'm taking the next couple of days off to get caught up on some long over due things I've been putting off. I also have a Christmas program for DGD tomorrow afternoon I will be able to attend.Yeah

Punk

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

Candy ... priceless! All the hours of 'brain power' & 'man power' make these 2 gifts priceless! You are an amazingly 'thrift' woman! Love the color combo for the trundle bed/bedding....& the flowers just 'make it!' Very cool.

NOw the other project...I am just lost ...but it turned out GRAND! I'm sure DD will appreciate your labor of love. Sounds like you've been lucky to have your family around during this holiday season...now enjoy a little quiet time!

You, too, punk, ...enjoy your couple days & Christmas programs are the best!

TFS, candy. Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

My goodness, Crafty Candy, you've totally exhausted me.
    LOL. HOW DO YOU DO IT ???
    Not only artistic, creative, imaginative....but on that last project I swear you sounded like an engineer with your plans and designs. :o) (you really should quit that day job and go into business for yourself! Designing, decorating,
    tablesettings for dinner parties, etc. You'd be a hit for sure!!)

I am just speechless what you've made for your DGD.
    She is one lucky little girl. That trundle bed, and the bedding colors, are gorgeous. Far better than anything store-bought. Same with the storage cabinet you made.

Could we change your name from Christmas Candy to Amazing Grace? :o)
    hugs, Karen

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ladies.
    Punk, I picked those shams because they were already embroidered with the flowers and butterflies and had the ruffled edges. After I cut out the 2 comforters, I was able to use the extra pieces left to make the sheets, bolsters, and the small pillow sham. The aqua was the reverse side of the original shams.

Jeanne, I was actually looking for one of those over the potty cabinets, as I thought I could cut off the legs and turn the cabinet into a storage piece similar to the cardboard box on the Amer. Girl website. Of course, I see them all the time when I don't want them, but didn't find any now, so the black tower was the substitute, LOL

Karen, I had to work on the projects after work and in between the candy-making and baking. I was able to build the bed on a Friday afternoon when I was not working, and then it took time for the coats of paint to dry, so as I was waiting for paint to dry, I would make a batch of candy or cookies, or make the Santa aprons. I made 4 Santa aprons as the 3 oldest DGK's had outgrown theirs and of course, the doll needed one too! It has been a very hectic schedule, but I love decorating and making things, so it is my own choice!!

Thanks again,
    Candy

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

OMG! I love what a crazy grandma you are. You're much, much worse than I. Aren't grandchildren wonderful!

I love the American Girl series. Such wonderful stories and they really teach the girls a little about history. My Gracie learned tons about life in the USA during World War II (Molly) and the Depression (Kit) when she read the books. Only did the two series, but she loved her doll during her "dollie stage."

Have you ever been to an American Girl store? As fancy as Neiman Marcus. They have a little doll beauty parlor and hospital in the LA store. I went in and walked around and couldn't find the Molly books, so I asked one of the employees. She said, "Oh, Molly's room is upstairs." Her room! Yes, every doll has a room.
    But the best part is the AG luncheons you can go to. I always wanted to find time to do it, but Gracie grew up too fast and the opportunity was missed.

Yes, the accessories are unbelievably expensive. I made Gracie's dollies a picnic table and a bed (not as nice as yours), because of the cost. You DGD is going to go nuts when she gets it.

The very best thing is that storage unit. It keeps everything in one place. No lost books or items. (Oh, by the way, Costco usually has AG books in nice sets for much less than you'll find elsewhere - even on Amazon.)

Well, grandma, keep on sewing and painting and hammering. And keep showing us your creations.

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh Candy, You are wonder Woman!!
    Your DGD will be thrilled.
    I made things for my DGDs American Girl dolls when they were younger. Clothes, quilts etc. I would never have the courage to use a chop saw.
    Maybe I be making things again when Caroline is older.

Thanks for sharing these treasures.
    Nana

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OA, yes, I have been to the only Amer. Girl store in Colo!
    I'll have to check out the luncheons. The store itself is unbelievable!! As you said, a beauty parlor, different rooms, and very $$$$$!!
    I bought the Saige book for her at B &N, as my DM and I had given her Saige for her B-day.

She would not let her folks pack up the bed Sat. night until they were ready to leave. They packed up the rest of the presents to clear the way for all of us to move around and get to the tables for dinner, but the bed had to stay!

She also wore the dress I bought her for Christmas and her doll wore the dress I made to match out of the TS toddler dress.

Everyone had a great time, there was not a scrap of brisket left, and the DGK's ended up the night playing a "heads up" game on a smart phone that was a .99 app. It was hilarious!!

Merry Christmas to all,
    Candy

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

Love the matching outfits!
    My Gracie went to an AG party once. All the girls dressed up in matching or near-matching outfits. The parents put down a long red piece of butcher paper and they had a fashion show. The best part was that the dad (a big, burly man) was the MC. He would describe the outfits as the girls walked down the aisle with their dolls. He did the most wonderful job - sounded just like a designer. it was cute and funny at the same time.

I looked up and downloaded the Heads Up app. We have the Heads up box game that's just like it. It is a blast to play. What I like about it is, adults and children can play together and neither has an advantage over the other. Thanks for the tip about the app. Playing it "on the iPhone" will make it a new game again.

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

Candy, I am so glad you shared photo of her with the bed.....her huge smile says it all !!
    And seeing your beautiful DGD with her doll in the matching outfit sure made me smile. They are just beautiful.

You are one heck of a grandmama!
    hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

Oh candy ...these Christmas pics are adorable... a wonderful Christmas for your DGD! TFS! Jeanne S.

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your DGD. She is as pretty as her DGM.You can see how much she loves the trundle bed, her new dress and her doll's matching dress.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Nana

• plainjane425
    10 years ago

Candy, I'm blown away by your creative talent!
    What a fabulous job you did
    By the looks of your DGD...she agrees!
    So glad you shared this with us..
    Merry Christmas !
    jane

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax
More Discussions