Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener1908

Spray paint Christmas Tree ?'s

gardener1908
14 years ago

I have an old white Christmas tree that I used before I re-decorated my new dining room. I am putting pale gold, chocolate brown with amber glass acccessories. I was thinking of spray painting the tree a metallic pearl (if I can find the paint) Anyone done this before? I saw the copper tree on another post and although it is beautiful, I need something a bit lighter, with more contrast. I will also have cream colored linens. I know I have seen pearl paint before, but couldn't find it at Lowes. First time whole family will be together in 7 years, restoration is almost finished and I am so excited. Any imput greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Krylon makes a spray that "pearlizes" things, tho I don't know if it would work on a tree. Michaels use to carry this but mine stopped, so I don't know where to find it now other than ordering it online.

I'll be interested to see if you can do this, and hope to see photos. Your new diningroom sounds lovely.

Karen

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

I have a friend who owns a little antique/collectibles shop and she bought two trees from a floral supply place that was going out of business. They were just green trees sprayed with white paint. They are a little "stiff", but it worked fine. While I was decorating one for her, I kept using my fingers to sort of separate any parts that had sort of stuck together. I'd be sure to do it in multiple coats and spray from a distance to avoid getting it too wet in any one place.

For the pearl finish, have you checked at Michael's or Joanne's? I bet they have something like that. I'd just spray the base color on, then after it had dried, spray the pearl finish on top. Lots cheaper that way too, I'm sure.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed on how it turns out, okay?

Luvs

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I don't know why I didn't think of Michael's or JoAnne's, been going to Hobby Lobby for that kind of thing. I will spray lightly and did think to do a base of vanillia, then go over with pearl. I'll let you know how it goes.

• User
    14 years ago

Today on Martha Stewart's show she showed a dipping technique to paint a tree/branches.

Jim

Metallic-Dipped Branch

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Wow, Jim, that branch turned out beautifully. I've saved that page to my piles!

hugs, Karen

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jim for the link. Looks like that would definetly work. The oil based paint must float on top of the water so you can dip the branch then as you pull it out it is covered in the paint. Some other craft uses the same tech. I just can't remember it. Off to the craft stores today!

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

You can use Design Master - it is used extensively in decorating for silk flowers so I am sure it would work on a tree - not sure about the 'pearl' effect but I know you can get all the different metallics. I have been using it in my crafting forever it seems - please post pictures when you get done - it sounds like it will be beautiful .....

Lynne

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Master

• User
    14 years ago

Oh, and the way you get rid of the water/paint mixture once you're done is fill the container with absorbent kitty litter--the kind that clumps and then put it in a trash bag.

Jim

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lynnecfan - Again ,thanks for the link, they do have a pearl spray and solid colors. Web site says it works on all kinds of surfaces incl. plastic, which I'm sure this tree is some sort of plastic. Micheals & JoAnns are suppose to carry it. Too busy today with girls formals & plays to make it shopping. Hopefully stores carry it and I don't have to wait to order online. I will let you know which way I go & post some pics.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It worked!! I got the Design Master spray paint in Ivory and applied heavily. It looks great, a real dark ivory. I used gold, chocolate and crystal ornaments. Lovely. This got me to thinking, one could spray paint a white tree any color you wanted. I'm thinking of picking up another one on sale after Christmas and painting it a dark crimson red for next year!! Thanks to all of your for your help. Will try to post some pics soon.

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

I am so glad the Design Master worked for you - I love the stuff. Can't wait to see the pictures of your tree ......

Lynne

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions