Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Xmas Gift Hunt? Suggestions..

lydia1959
22 years ago

My pre-teen daughter is getting a vcr/tv combo this year ~ which means she is getting very little else. I wanted to wrap a clue up which would lead to another, then another, etc. etc. before she finally finds this gift (in the basement). Does anyone have some cute clue ideas or know of a site which does? TIA

Comments (4)

• Gail_in_NC
    22 years ago

I grew up expecting these treasure hunts for my major gifts!!! What my parents would do is to wrap a pretty gift (a few things thrown inside to rattle the box) and when I opened the box there would be an envelope that would say "Think your gift is all washed up? Look in the washing machine to show you it's not!" Inside the washing machine would be another note that said "You are cold as ice in finding your gift....maybe look under the blanket on your bed if you want to be warmer" Of course, under the blanket would be another note leading me somewhere else........they had me running all over the house and it was so much fun!!!

Plan out your treasure hunt and make sure you put the right note where it should be!!! I walk the hunt now when I write them out and in tiny letters on the back of the note I put where I'm to put that note. It will help you when you are setting up the treasure hunt to know exactly which note goes where! Now, if you really want to be naughty, along the treasure hunt leave a presant (little one) she'll be so excited....but be sure to leave a note that continues her on her hunt for the main gift! Have fun with this, I'm sure she will be delighted with the outcome (and you'll probably be creating a memory for her)

Gail

• Cath
    22 years ago

I do this for my kids for Easter, well the Easter Bunny leaves his clues in special plastic eggs. The first egg is always in their slipper. I put a small gift with each egg and the final egg usually has a video that they wanted. I do this instead of a lot of candy. The gifts are something that they needed anyway like spring PJs. My kids are 3 & 7 years old.
    Just wanted to share.
    Oh, I also start backwards with my clues
    Good Luck
    Cath

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Gail and Cath ~ Thanks for you suggestions!

I thought I would share with everyone what I have decided to do. I made a card on my computer and printed it out - I put this little poem on the front: "Follow the clues on this treasure hunt to find the gift that you did want!" Inside the card I placed the first clue. The card was put into a shoe box with some cookie mix (for weight) and wrapped. The other clues I will set out Christmas Eve ~ they include "Where Smokey's day is lounged away" (the cat's favorite chair), "Where little Ju hides from view" (the other cats favorite spot - top of the armoire), "Your next clue holds Dad's money too!" (DH's wallet) etc. etc. I did write lightly on the back of each clue where it goes ~ so I don't mess up! I am looking forward to watching my DD run from room to room on Christmas morning!

• ruthanna_gw
    22 years ago

We have had a scavenger hunt very much like those above for DD's Christmas presents since she was 4 years old (she's 15 now). She opens the gifts in her Christmas stocking and in the very bottom is the first clue. Sounds like you've got your hunt all planned but another idea for big gifts is the ball of yarn trick. You tie one end of a skein of yarn around her wrist after she is asleep. Then you unwind the yarn all throgh the house, outside your house, through the front seat of the car, etc. Then at the end is the gift. I'm sure you daughter (and you) will have a lot of fun.

Sponsored
More Discussions