Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Jewelry Tree...another holiday decor favorite

jeannespines
14 years ago

A good friend of mine had made one of these & I loved it...so when I lost my Mom, I decided to take Mom's costume jewelry & some of my own & incorporate a few photos to make this tree:

{{gwi:149732}}

Recycled the frame & antiqued it a bit with gold paint...used dark velvet for backgrd on foam core... & used LOTS of superglue! Here's an up-close pic of the tree trunk...a little frame with my Mom & Dad when they were first married (& my pic of g'ma when she was very old):

{{gwi:149735}}

An old watchface of Mom's is there & a round clockface from a necklace I had as a teenager...plus the crown jewels represent Mom's GKids...a pin from my Dad's workplace...

One last pic shows a candle light...I have one on each side of the jewelry tree with a battery tealight. Doesn't light up much at night but it is very pretty anyway.

This is a precious tree & part of my winter/holiday decor...my "hallway" tree! Thanks for looking! Merry Christmas! Jeanne S.

Comments (19)

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

OH MY WORD, that is fabulous!!!!!!! I am not the least bit craftey, but I've got to take a whack at that one of these days. I have jewelry from both my mom and my MIL. Thanks so much for posting this. You did such a great job! Can you imagine how proud your mom would be to see this.....oh, but I am one who believes she does!

Thanks again for sharing. If you have any other tips or tricks on this project, please let us know.

blessings to you,
    pupwhipped

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I'm right there with 'pup', and agree that it's an amazing piece of decor. The frame on the photo is just gorgeous! You did a wonderful job of arranging the jewelry. including the 'garlands'.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops, looks like I didn't get that 3rd pic posted...here it is with candle lamp (one on each side)...Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Jeanne, that is absolutely gorgeous. And what a wonderful way to remember loved ones. You are so lucky to have had the jewelry to make this! I wish I'd gotten my two grandmothers' to do the same now. (my Mom wasn't one to wear this kind of jewelry, tho I wish she had been!).
    I LOVE your tree!

LOL, just had a thought...no way would my daughter make one from my jewelry. It would be a dog (whippet/greyhound) tree. Maybe I should just make my own huh? LOL.

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Jeanne I just love how you designed and displayed your old jewelry. How nice to have them out to look at and enjoy rather than tucked away in a drawer. Also what a nice 'Memory' piece as well.
    I too have many old pieces of jewelry from my DM - DGM and DAunt, and I've always hated the fact that they are just put away. I've been looking for a way to put them out.
    Last weekend I went to a Christmas House Tour, and all the homes were Vintage and decorated beautifully for Christmas.
    In one home, the woman had a Wire Dress Form, that held all her old Brooches. I thought that was a wonderful idea..Now having seen what you've done, has all the more Inspired me to do something Creative too!
    I'm so glad you showed this...I really enjoyed looking.

jane

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

I've seen a few of the jewelry trees before, but I have to say I like your's the best. Really love how you incorporated the pictures into it as well, and the shape is great. You really did an excellent job on it, and now everyone can look at it and enjoy it.

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Jane, I've seen special jewelry just framed in no particular design. I always thought it made a lovely 'art' piece as well as treasured memories to see daily and enjoy.
    If I was Jeanne, this tree would never be out of sight. Its the prettiest one I've seen.

hugs, Karen

• winchesterva
    14 years ago

I love that!!!!What a great way to keep our loved ones close during the holiday season, absolutely beautiful!! I'm sure there are lots of memories in that tree!

• party_music50
    14 years ago

It's fabulous!!! I've never seen anything like that done with jewelry. I wouldn't be able to treat that as a seasonal item... I think it should be displayed at all times! You've done a wonderful job creating it!

• judithva
    14 years ago

What a beautiful jewerly tree, it is one of the best I have seen. You have a wonderful family heirloom to pass down. Just fantastic!

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

What a fantastic idea. Yours is beautiful, what a piece of art!

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

That is so wonderful, I love how you incorporated your memeories into it. It is just beautiful. I have been collecting jewelry and even have the frame ready to make one. I never thought about using memory pics. Maybe I'll have mine done by next year.
    Syble

• yborgal
    14 years ago

This is really special! Absolutely gorgeous.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your comments!

It was sometimes difficult doing this project because knowing that I was cutting & super-gluing the jewelry...that it would never be use-able again! Especially difficult (physically & mentally) cutting apart Mom's rings ... but she gave all her jewelry away to kids/g'kids while she was sick...it pleased her so. I did keep a few lovely pcs. to wear myself!

Be prepared for gluing your fingers alot! LOL!

I love the ideas of the "framed jewel art" & also that dress form for brooches! That had to be so cool!

And I do keep this tree hung in the hall until Spring...and then I put back up my Mom's & my MIL's grad pics.

Thanks again...and thanks to my friend (who gave me this idea)...Jeanne S.

• donnawb
    14 years ago

I just love how you put it together but being a memory piece makes it that much more special.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Jeanne, this is truly the nicest jewelry tree I've ever seen, without a doubt! You have such an artistic ability to put things together well and it's especially wonderful because of the memories. I've seen quite a few other trees and even saved pics for inspiration as I'd like to make one. I only have a few pieces of jewelry from my DM and no costume jewelry that I wore in the 50's and 60's, gave it away long ago. I have been buying vintage pieces in yard sales as I find ones I like (at prices I like) but don't have enough yet.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I'm right there with 'pup', and agree that it's an amazing piece of decor. The frame on the photo is just gorgeous! You did a wonderful job of arranging the jewelry. including the 'garlands'.

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Jeanne,
    Your jewelery framed art is so wonderful. You have made a keepsake that will be cherished forever. I keep going back up and am so amazed at how you arranged all of this jewelery.

I still have alot of my DM and DGM jewelery that I separated for all of us 6 kids. I may reconsider and make some pictures in my spare time.

TFS Punk

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all again...it is a precious "tree" for me ...and it brings back lots of good memories...like the heart-shaped gold & pewter pc was given to me by my grandma many yrs ago...it opens up & has our pics inside & my g'pa's too.

And that silly Texas shaped pin left of the tree trunk is a junky pc from Texas...my folks wintered there after retirement...that silly colorful peacock feather you see right of the trunk is a from a pair of earrings when I got to go down & visit them in Texas once! (in the middle of an Iowa winter! It was heaven!)

And the trinket angel pin...my Mom wore them on lots of things...scarfs, lapels, etc. I could rattle on a long time with you all!

But I am pleased that it has inspired some of you with ideas for your keepsakes. Thanks for looking. Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions