Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

Christmas craft

jollyrd
11 years ago

I finally found time to create and put together these two pieces, and wanted to share with you...

Comments (12)

• jollyrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and the vase

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Lovin' the vase ...w/that ribbon twisted & the 'fillers' you decided to use! Your front door looks very bright & cheery, too! Looks like 'finding some time' turned into a very good thing! TFS! Jeanne S.

• decorcrzy
    11 years ago

I luv the wreath, the colors are just so vibrant, and blend so perfectly together.
    It looks great for a warm climate Christmas house. So welcoming :)

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Both are very nice! Love the use of hydrangeas in the Christmas colors! And your vase is gorgeous...very festive.

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Welcome, so glad to have you here posting with us. I too love hydrangeas. Your wreath is so bright and beautiful. Never seen red hydrangeas before but this looks great. Your filled vase is so pretty too. The little gold nuggets really caught my eye.

Punk

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

Welcome Jolly, Your wreath is beautiful and it looks terrific against the burgundy door.
    I love the simple elegance of the arrangement in the vase.
    TFS come back soon
    Nana

• GulfportGail
    11 years ago

TFS...very very lovely

GGail

• party_music50
    11 years ago

I love the apple vase too! are those homemade willow balls?! and are the gold things those "gumballs" that fall from the trees in Virginia? lol! (I learned about those when playing a golf course there :O)

• jollyrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone, it really means a lot to me to know that someone else likes these.

All the elements are fake. I bought the apples and mini golden cones at Michaels on sale after 2011 Christmas. So I had to wait a year to use them. I found a large bag of the willow balls at Goodwill for $3.

I like using a large vase as a center piece. Last year I filled it with Christmas tree ornament balls.

I love life hydrangeas - have two different bushes at my front door, but alas - they dont bloom at Christmas. There is a red hydrangea type - but it is hard to get it grow trully red - the soil has to be just right. So this was my way of having "hydrangeas for Christmas".

I used a large spool of organza/netting from Joanns (for about $1.00) to wrap the frame of wreath and then make a bow -- it had enough length in it to go around the frame 3 times! And since I hate cutting anything - I just wrapted it all around, LOL

I cut the leaves off the flower stems and used hot glue to attach them to the wreath after base was wrapped.

• lynnencfan
    11 years ago

very nice decorations - I especially like the vase and the way you used the ribbon in it. The hydrangea wreath is very pretty also - I love using dried hydrangea blooms at Christmas. Didn't have many this year as we were so dry and the blooms didn't hold up well. I like using them in my nature tree. Welcome to the Forum and looking forward to seeing more of your decorating :).....

Lynne

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

OK. I know this is about the Christmas decorations, but I'd just like to say, "I really like the color of your front door."

• jollyrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks OldAlgebra. It was originally a plain white door that came with the house. But our shutters are burgundy, and I always knew I wanted to match the look. To do that, I would have to pay $$$ for a whole new door, but there was nothing wrong with the one we had. All this took is a small can of outdoor paint - a nice spring weekend weather, and very little work. This has been 4 years since I painted it and thanks to the covered porch, the paint is as good as new. I still have plenty of paint left. I might paint the side door too one day. The dark color helps hide any dirt, but does show the pollen / dust very easy. I wash the door couple times - once after pollen comes out, and once befor the wreath goes on it.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions