Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjeanmc_gw

Searching for a tree...

nancyjeanmc
13 years ago

Several years ago...at least 10...I saw a unique Christmas "Tree" in a catalogue. I saved that catalogue for years, but after moving last year, it got lost. Anyway, it was large, wrought iron, I think, and spiral or circles that progressed in size. You could decorate it bare, or wrap greenery around the circles. They even showed it with candles (which I would never do!) Anyway, I used to come here a few years back, and got the best inspiration. Anyone familiar with what I described???

Comments (25)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I did a google for "Wrought Iron Christmas Trees" and several showed up.

Scroll down a bit and here's a tree that sounds like what you're talking about. It's cool!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for checking. I have seen that one before, and I'm probably going to get it on overstock.com (it's only $119 there), but it isn't the one I saw in "some" catalogue, "some" number of years ago. It was solid rings, heavy.
    But I'm glad you like the other one. It helps to have someone else like it.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Oh, I've gotten to where I like all different sorts of "funky" trees now!

Two years ago I broke down and bought a really nice white tree and it's just breathtaking in real life.

Now I'm seeing commercials for those bright pink, purple, blue, green trees and I want one of those too!

They're just so festive!

And you can put an iron tree just about anywhere because it would save space, wouldn't it? The decorating possibilities are endless!

If you get one, make sure to show us a picture after it's decorated.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

I've never seen a wrought iron Christmas tree before but it is wonderful. Makes my head spin just thinking about the endless decorating possibilities. Please be sure and share as Oakley said.

Punk

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will post the pictures. I'm going to order it right now, but I'll still keep searching for the "elusive one."

• rafor
    13 years ago

I just got one for $69 from the Improvements Catalogue. It's the same one that Norm Thompson has and their's is $200! I had seen it last year but didn't get it. Bought it this year and it arrived last week. I'm still digging out ornaments to fill it up. It comes in several sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: improvements catalogue

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rafor,
    Thank you so much. I was able to cancel my Overstock.com order and I'm going to order here. I'll have to wait a couple of days, because they're sending a 15% off coupon by e-mail (they said it might take a few days to process), but for the extra $10 off, I can wait.
    Is it relatively sturdy? It looks a lot nicer than the one I originally ordered.

• rafor
    13 years ago

It is very sturdy. I was pleasantly surprised how nice it actually is! The metal itself was thicker than I expected.

Glad you could cancel the other since this was a much better price.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

I love the deer doorstop too. If you buy two they are only $9.99 each. One could spray paint them any color with the metal paint and they would be wonderful on a mantel or table for decorations.

Punk

• nhardy
    13 years ago

If you spend more than $45, you could use coupon SAV2010. That one is 20% off. I found the code on retailmenot,com.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I looked at the picture, I have one of those metal ornament trees but the top is different. Mine is full of pink balls. lol

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, NHardy. I'll give it a try now. And I have to find the doorstops. I need one. No, really...I need it!
    I'll let you know what happens.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Pier I had lots of wrought iron-type trees last Christmas. Not sure if they are still carrying them, but they do have quite a few items that they stocked last year that are back in 2010!

Good luck!

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rafor and NHardy...
    I was slow to order, but got an e-mail today with a 25% off coupon. Signed, Sealed and Waiting for Delivery. Sometimes it does pay to procrastinate (she said, staring at a pile of laundry to be folded...)

• nhardy
    13 years ago

That is so fantastic!!! From 15 to 20, then finally 25% off. WOW!!!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

oh my....the temptation to get that tree is really going to be hard for me to resist. Its wonderful, (and cats wouldn't climb it.) LOL
    If I hadn't spent the day repacking and restoring a lot of my decorations, I would order this tree in a heartbeat.
    But now, not sure I can justify getting one.
    Arrrgggghhhhh.

hugs, Karen

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's due to be here Monday. Can't wait. I'm going to try wrapping white lights against its "trunk," and then try draping the lights over the arms. Probably not at the same time, but it will be fun to play.
    I'll take pictures of the process.

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grrrr...I thought all I had to do to post a picture was to drag in onto this message, like I do with facebook. (My son put it on my desktop. I have a Mac, if it matters.) Help! I even googled "how to post a picture on gardenweb", but I couldn't figure it out. Anyone good with simple tutorials?

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

If you don't want to open a Photobucket acct, you can use this link "Tiny Pic" & it will work for you. I just did this one...you click on download it, then right click on the 1st HTML & click copy...come to the message you are posting & click paste....it will look like gibberish...but when you preview you should see the pic. I love Photobucket tho...that's what I use ...but I keep albums there, too. It's free, both of them. Hope this helps. Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny Pic

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here goes...our new family "tradition."

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't want to type a lot, and not have the picture work, so this is my PS:
    Jeanne, I wish I had asked for help sooner. It was so easy. (I used your link) And I love your tree.
    Not to be a downer, but three years ago today we lost our beautiful 17 year old niece. She was "my" little girl, and spent a lot of the summer here. Anyway, Christmas hasn't been the same, but I still have my "children," (17 and 20 years) and I can't ignore this time of year. So we changed it up. I thought my boys would hate it ... but they don't. They actually like it. My dh? Not so much. Oh well.
    The link is to the catalog, with the unadorned tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: The anadorned catalog version

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Yes, you've started a new Christmas tree tradition! It is unusual but very pretty...have fun with it! And you got it for a great $$$ bargain, it seems! I'm glad Tiny Pics worked for you. TFS! Jeanne S.

• lindasc
    13 years ago

I have bought this same ornament tree and have all the stockings hanging on it for this year, I have already ordered two more for my daughters, I think they are just the cutest thing and can be decorated in so many different ways...

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Nancy, your tree turned out so cool. I would of never thought to add bows to it. So sorry to hear about the loss of your special neice.

Your home looks lovely.

Punk

• nancyjeanmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Punk, I played around with it; lights all over it, wrapping the boughs around the "arms," swagging the boughs. In the end, the easiest was the best. You can't tell, but I have little white lights wrapped around the center post. And the boughs just on the outer most/upper most "loop" of the scroll. Total time to "decorate," was less that ten minutes. Now we're playing with ornaments.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions