oldalgebra
13 years ago

Put this together this morning.

Happy New Year, everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy OLD Year Eve

Comments (15)

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Where in the world did you find those dessert plates? They pull the whole table together. It looks cozy as can be, love the black and white.
    Frou

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frou,
    Aren't those plates the coolest! Got them at a thrift shop in Northern California. I don't think I paid more than a couple of dollars each for them. They only had two. Even my husband noticed them and was sort of disppointed that I only had the two. I've gone to Replacements.com to find more, but they are 13.99 each and I am trrrrrrrying to hold off at that price. I may break down eventually, but I'm trying to remain strong. I shouldn't tell this group. They'll have me ordering a set of 12 before 2011 comes around!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Looks like a good party! Silver & black combo sure does SHINE! And those plates are just the most unique! I love how you stack the place settings! ...& all the accessories...noisemakers & necklaces. A magnificient table for bringing in the New Year! Now I'm singing....

Put down the knitting,
    The book and the broom.
    It's time for a holiday.
    Life is a Cabaret, old chum
    Come to the Cabaret.

Come taste the wine, Come hear the band.
    Come blow a horn, Start celebrating;
    Right this way, Your table's waiting.

What good's permitting Some prophet of doom
    To wipe every smile away.
    Life is a Cabaret, old chum,
    So Come to the Cabaret!

TFS, OA! Jeanne S.

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

Don't you just love a good bargain? Those plates just make the most elegant table! You really know what to put together, Denise. I like hearing the stories of how everyone finds their treasures, to me that's half of what makes this forum interesting. And I won't even start raving about that Monopoly table again. :)

Pat

• yachter123
    13 years ago

I can't believe you had all this laying around waiting to be used!!!

I could not pull together a New or Old Years table without running to a few stores!

Where on earth do you store all of these things???

It is so cute, I just love it all!

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

OA, I left a comment on the blog, but just have to say again that it all looks just right. Great find on those plates, and the silver just makes it all pop. Those noise makers with the stars, the beads, the sparkly hat--you put it all together so well. ;o) Luvs

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yachter, I had it all in a tub in a little shed with my Christmas junk. I had a big party last year. Lots of relatives from out of town. All ages. Everyone was a good sport and wore the silly hats and made all sorts of noise and kissed everyone and we generally had a great time.
    The tin noise makers are from a party about three years ago.
    I have a hard time throwing ANYTHING out. I have horns from YEARS ago. The white fringe on their ends has turned brown. I had to spray the fringed ends silver because they looked so bad and I didn't want to throw them away. Finally gave them the old heave-ho this year. All the stuff was from previous years. Even the nice wine bottle cover was a hostess gift I got one year.
    Isn't it fun to not have to spend anything, but it still looks great!

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

love this - everything compliments each other - you are a true master at pulling things together. My first goal is to get some basic white plates with a nice embossed pattern (I am looking at some at Dollar Tree with a basket weave on the border) and then work from there on the salad plates ect. I have a ton of craft things that I can work into various tablescapes - oh yeah I am hooked!!!!!!! ......

Lynne

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

OA, I'm so happy to come here and see another wonderful table tonight. Love all your silver and black on this one. Your cloche looks great sitting back there too.

I started a table but don't seem to have what I need in the house and it's zero out and no desire to go shopping in the shed. I think we traded Batteries!lol

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

OA...you're ideas are like a 'Bottomless Pit' ...
    there's NO END to what you do or have on hand!
    Truly Amazing, and I love it all.
    I love anything with mileage and character...well most anything (not me-for sure)..and this table is just plain fun to be sitting at. Love those plates..what a bummer that they only had two. Glad you keep your old noisemakers and hats..they will become treasures in the years to come, especially for your family. I've got old ones that go back to my DF's family before I was born. I remember them being used when I was little, and all the fun attached to them...faded and all.
    Oh yes...'Raising Hand Here'...I remember William Powell and Myrna Loy...we've got every 'Thin Man' on tape!!

jane

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That-a girl, Jane! I knew someone would be as big a fan of the Thin Man series as we are.

Boy, you do have some vintage New Year's Eve party items! Isn't it fun? Even a quiet, subdued New Year's Eve needs a few hats.

Happy New Year, Jane.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

OA, You've done it again!!
    Another wonderful table.
    Happy New Year!

NanaKaren

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

OA, This is spectacular! The simplicity and sophistication of the black and white is what makes it all come together. I am going back to read your blog. You are one talented lady! TFS

• yachter123
    13 years ago

I've had NY's favors in past years, but I always pitch them afterwards.

Silly me, I could have kept a small bag of them to make a centerpiece at least, but I am the queen of throwing out & cleaning out. See where that has gotten me?? LOL

Well, your table is fabulous, wish I had saved a few things.

My son is hosting his kids & their friends tonite here & we are going out to a friends house, would have been cute to fix up the table for the kids!!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Miz O-so-A-mazing has struck again! I swear you must be part magician the way you pull things out of your hat and put them together!
    And I absolutely loved the title...OLD Year Eve. That deserves a celebration and you did it up perfectly!

hugs, Karen

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz
More Discussions