Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

My Christmas mantle is the only thing I've done so far...

My3dogs ME zone 5A
12 years ago

I have only done my mantle, and that was tough! I tried to use silver plate and white ironstone, but found that at least in the LR, I am NOT a silver girl, even though the pieces are antique!

I also had 'help' (NOT!) from my new son, also a Riley, who I adopted on 11/15 after losing my Joey suddenly on 10/20. He came to me as 'Dannyboy' from New England Brittany Rescue, and he started out in MO, then KS, then NH, and finally to Maine. He's estimated to be between 2 - 4. This is him about 16 hours after he arrived, comfy in my office chair. I renamed him as Danny was too close to my Sam/Sammy, and I didn't want to confuse them. He's big cuddler!

Anyway, without his help, this would have gone up a lot faster, but here it is. $30 antique mirror from CL, lamps I made a few years ago from old barley twist candle sticks (I did NOT drill into them; my favorite transferware, Furnivals Quail, garland I made a few years ago and added to this year, holly from my yard, and I made the scarf from a 25 cent piece of sample home dec fabric that I got at a nearby store. I had the trim on hand. The wooden and gesso piece above the platter is from an old mirror that is long long, and I have always loved it, so plopped it there!

Comments (10)

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Your mantel is absolutely lovely, very elegant looking! I so love that quail, he's on my "eBay hunt list"!

Wow, the new pup (teenager) did a LOT of traveling to get to you, but he sure looks like he's right at home. What a lucky dog. He is beautiful. I had friends who showed Brittanys and boy, those are some high energy dogs! Make my Whippets look lazy. LOL. So I can imagine all the "help" this one was. Doing the tree might be interesting. ;o)
    (I'm sorry to hear of your loss of your beloved Joey.)

hugs, Karen

• rafor
    12 years ago

Love your mantel!! I have a very old house with a fireplace in every room, so lots of mantels. The problem with them is that the mantels are all very narrow. Just enough room for a garland and not much else. I'm trying to figure out if some day I can make them wider front to back without ruining them!!! I'd like to do what you have done and have things other than just a candle stick on the mantel for Christmas and the rest of the year.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Very rich & elegant, my3dogs...you did beautiful work on the garland & the lamps. Love the cut Holly on each end w/the candlestick lamps & the mantle runner is so lovely! The mirror is gorgeous! What can I say about pinecones...they just look perfect among the quail, platter & greenery!

And Danny looks like he fits right in, too! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Irish2
    12 years ago

I'm not sure which I'm enjoying more...the new mantel
    arrangement or your new "son" Riley!

OT-I had a great shopping day @ The Mustard House again
    two weeks ago. Christine,Pam, & "Edna" the cat are a great trio.

• jab65
    12 years ago

Just beautiful!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Whoops, read it over again..."Riley!" ...beautiful & looks like he is fitting right in your home! LOL! Jeanne s.

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Sweet picture and he looks so content. Glad to hear you are both enjoying the cuddling.

Your mantel is beautiful. What a wonderful buy on your antique mirror. Lamps, dishes, garland and Quail are wonderful together on that scarf. I think you made a great choice to leave the silver behind.LOL

Punk

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Your mantel is gorgeous!!
    Riley looks content.My DD and DSIL have a Brtttany named Jackson. He thinks he is their baby.
    Nana

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

LOVE your mantel display! So elegant looking. The scarf is lovely and your garland is so full! Great job!

Your new "pup" is quite a handsome boy too!

• eriepatch
    12 years ago

My3Dogs,
    So happy you found Riley and such a lucky boy he is.
    Some of the pain from losing a beloved dog can be eased
    by getting a new one to shower love on.
    You are a special lady.
    Btw, love the mantel too.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions