Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you make a wreath?

Posted by nhardy (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 14:37

I have a magnolia grandiflora tree. Mr. squirrel has been pruning the tips of the branches again. I thought I might make a wreath with all of the cuttings. Should I hot glue them to a form or wire them to a wire form?? I see no need to get anything with water like floral foam.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you make a wreath?

Hot glue would work well for a wreath this time of year, or if you have a stryofoam form, or straw form, the U shaped floral pins would hold the leaves. We (garden club)used the pins for magnolia leaves. We left some wreaths green and painted some with metallic paint.

o

No advice on making a wreath, but as New Englander I want to tell you how envious I am of you folks in southern climes who can grow these trees! I planted a supposedly cold-hardy one a year ago but it continues to look like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and I'm not optimistic it will ever thrive. I absolutely adore magnolia roping and wreaths at the holiday. We visited a friend in Richmond, a master gardener, who turns up her nose at these trees because they're messy and drop things all year long, but I suspect if I lived there I'd probably put up with the annoyance just to have the glory of these trees!

o

I'm in St. Louis zone 5b and the tree thrives next to the house! They are messy trees but well loved for the shade and beautiful flowers. Our tree is almost 50 years old and twice the height of the house. No topping it now. I'll leave the trimming to the squirrels.

o

I've got a northern variety of magnolia. It took it almost 7 years before it took off and started flowering. For a good number of years it was a sad looking thing. In the past year or two it's exploded into a lovely fragrant tree BUT I still don't have the leaves like on the southern variety.

o

I'm in downtown Richmond on a small city lot & I planted a magnolia specifically for cutting (& to hide the neighbor's house). It doesn't get enough sun for many blooms, if any, but there's nothing comparable to the foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here