Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieann925

Quick turnaround on this tablecloth

bonnieann925
13 years ago

We have been having dinners in the DR since Christmas (having our DD home from college has been so nice!) Whipped it off yesterday, squirted it with some Oxyclean, washed it and voila.........

Having the whole family, plus a couple of boyfriends for dinner tonight. Our house is still decorated for Christmas and will be through the Epiphany. Tonight's menu: roasted salmon, Beef Chianti with noodles, crusty bread, veggies with dip ahead and some kind of veggie or salad with dinner. DD made the dessert: red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting from scratch. I'll try to snap a pic once she gets it frosted. It's cooling on racks now...3 layers!

Comments (11)

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Bonnie,
    You forgot to post the address. And what time do you want us there?
    Seriously ... what is beef chianti? Can you post the recipe.
    And the table looks beautiful. I like the contrast between warm Christmas colors and the whites of winter (my new obsession.)
    Nancy

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Lovely! Nothing as clean & crisp as a white t'cloth! Enjoy your family tog & the BF's, too...menu sounds wonderful! Love the tree plates, esp! TFS! Jeanne S.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I am with Nancy - what time is dinner and where???? I really like the red tree plates too - very very nice - enjoy the time spent with family and friends :) ......

Lynne

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Those red tree plates are beautiful, as well as the whole table. The menu sounds scrumptious. Isn't it fun having children home for the holidays, my DS was here for 4 days and we had a blast.
    Frou

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

Make that 3 extra for dinner! That menu sounds wonderful. Yes, please share the recipe. I didn't get any Red Velvet cake this year, as you have probably seen (a birthday tablescape), DD wanted dark chocolate this year. I usually do a red velvet for her birthday. And I am sure people will look at me and say,"poor thing, she looks like she only gained 5 lbs instead of ten, must not have been any red velvet cake this year."

Grins,

Pat

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

That is wonderful that you are getting lots of use out of the dining room table this year. How fun having all those young people around--nothing better than all that youthful enthusiasm for life! A three layer cake with cream cheese frosting, huh? Jane, are your roads cleared yet so you can get the bus out to come pick us all up so we can go have cake with Bonnie????? LOL

Luvs

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Bonnie, looks and sounds like your ready for a fun time. I haven't have red velvet cake for years and I love cr cheese frosting. Better add another plate.lol

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Okay Ladies! ....Luvs I heard you Loud & Clear...
    I'm revving up the Bus as I write and should be there ASAP!
    That menu is too good to pass up.

Bonnie your table looks just lovely...I too like the 'crisp' white tablecloth with your lovely Christmas Tree dishes.
    Enjoy your evening...sounds wonderful.

jane

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, where were you? I kept waiting for the bus to pull up, had extra plates ready and had your wine all poured!
    Sad story about the tablecloth (which had holly leaves embossed on it...was definitely only for Christmas). I buy several boxes of tapered candles at Marshalls right after Christmas. Well, we're eating, drinking, talking laughing, etc. and my daughter says, "oh look at this candle". It has a big ball of drippings on it. Right when she said that the ball fell onto the tablecloth and burned a whole into it. Of course, I'm just finding this out now, when I went to throw it into the washing machine. I'm going to try to mend it, and I'm throwing those bargain candles out!

Ahhh, the beef Chianti was soooo good. My DH made double the recipe and served it over egg noodles.

Here's the recipe:
    BEEF CHIANTI
    2 T oil
    2 gloves chopped garlic
    2 lbs. beef cubed for stew
    2 T flour
    2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    2 cans (8 oz) tomato sauce
    2 cups Chianti wine
    2 cups water
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. basil
    1/2 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 cloves, crushed (we omit)
    pinch crushed red pepper
    1 bay leaf
    8 small white onions, peeled (we quater a couple of onions)
    4 carrots, cut crosswise (we add more)
    4 medium potatoes, cut in large dice

Heat oil in skillet. Add garlic and meat and brown. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper. Transfer meat to 3 qt. casserole (we double it and use 2 casseroles). Add tomato sauce, wine and water to skillet and heat and scrape brown crust from skillet. Add seasonings and pour over beef in caserole. Add vegetables. Cover and bake in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours or until beef is tender.

One batch makes 4-6 servings
    From Fondue, Chafing Dish and Casserole Cookery by Margaret Murphy

Enjoy! And thank you all for your sweet comments, oh and for the funny ones too!!!
    Happy New Year!

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Bonnieanne, Very pretty table the Christmas tree plates are perfect The Beef Chianti sounds delicious.
    What a shame about your table cloth.
    Candles are so pretty on a table but they can be so dangerous.
    I've had wax ruin more than one.
    Happy New Year
    NanaK

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Gee Bonnie...sorry we missed arriving in time for your yummy meal..EVEN the Wine >> took a wrong turn heading for Luv's place and got lost! Next time...

Your recipe sounds sooo good and something
    DH would eat..he's ONLY a meat & potatoes guy and could easily 'pick over' the carrots...lol
    Got any leftovers?

Sorry about your Tablecloth. If it's in the center, maybe you could applique over it using either a fabric that's similar or even something different. It would be a shame to get rid of it.. Years ago, my nephew went to blow out a candle on the table,(also inexpensive ones) and the red wax flew all over my lace tablecloth and permanently stained it. He felt terrible, but I told him it would be a 'Christmas Memory' for the future...he sort of liked that.

jane

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions