Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to safely hang x-mas lights on a tall outdoor tree

Posted by roguebabe (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 7, 06 at 13:22

We have a large, maybe 10-12 foot xmas tree on our front lawn that we want to hang outdoor lights on. We don't want to use ladders because we've already got snow/ice on the ground. Is there some gizmo/gadget that is sold at home improvement stores to hang lights? Something like a telescoping pole or something? Anyone know if Home Depot, Menards or Lowes would have such an item, and if so, what to ask for?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to safely hang x-mas lights on a tall outdoor tree

I did a search on the net and this is the only store that I
could find that sells something for hanging lights in a high tree.
You can order it online or go to one of the two stores in VA
if you live near there. I'd be surprised if one the home
improvement stores you mentioned wouldn't sell something for
this or give you a suggestion on where else to look. You
could always print from this site and take it to the store
when you ask them.
http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=99014422&openparent=1523

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorating Pole for hanging lights in trees

o

If you don't want to spend money - find a long pole and hammer 2 nails at the end to form a V which works good OR I have put one nail on the end and clipped and glued a clothes pin on the end.
Good Luck and don't get on the ladder!
tammy

o

we use one of those telescoping tree trimming poles and just use duct tape to tape a hook made out of a hanger on the end.Also one of the telescoping poles that you change light bulbs with works.

o

There was an article in Southern Living a few years ago which I wished I'd saved. It talked about taping the end of the lights to a softball and tossing it over the tree. I wish I could remember all the details. It looked like a great idea, although in my case, I'd have to tap members of my family who are much better ball tossers than I am.

o

I'd go with Evelyn's pole. At some point, you are going to want those lights back out of those trees too.

o

During Christmas, you can find these poles just about anywhere such as hardware stores, plant nurseries that sell Christmas trees, WalMarts, Home Depots, Sears, etc. Just tell the clerk that you want a pole for hanging Christmas tree lights. Or lights on a house.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here